Skip to main content

Andi's comments about a standard pickle brine are right on with what we use.

These are pickled and refrigerated and not "hot canned".They keep a month or more in the refrigerator.

For canning ,Andi can input.

When my wife cans other cooked sausage,I believe she cans at 15 lbs. for 20 mins.

Hot Pickled Sausage

• 2 cups water
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 3 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 tsp. whole peppercorns
  • 1 tsp whole allspice
  • 1 tsp. dill seeds
  • 1 tsp celery seeds
  • 1 tsp mustard seed
  • 1 cup thinly sliced onion
  • 2 or more Habs ,slit the sides slightly

Merely slitting the sides of the Habs allows them to flavor and heat without losing breathing control.

Combine water,vinegar,sugar and spices and bring to a boil.Reduce heat and simmer 15 mins.Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

We use about 1 lb. sausage ,sliced on the diagonal about 1/4 thick.You don't have to.

Using a two quart glass container,alternate layers of sausage,onion and Habs.

Pour marinade over ,seal tightly and refrigerate at least 3 days.

They will keep at least a month in the refrigerator.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

WOW! I love it! Good one, Tom! Makin' these for sure!

Pressure canning pork sausage is as follows:

When you make your sausage, go easy on the seasonings, because some may change during canning and/or storage. Omit sage. It will be bitter as all get-out.

Shape the meat into patties that will fit PINT JARS ONLY, and place them in a pan in a slow oven...325. Precook until half done. Skim fat/save juices. Pack in layers in the jars, leaving 1 inch headroom. Cover with boiling fat-free pan juices, supplemented by broth (see below). NO FAT, ya hear? Wipe the jar rim to remove any fat still there, put on the lids, and process at 10 lbs. for 75 minutes. Cool naturally.

I have found that equal parts chix broth and beef broth approximates pork broth pretty dang good! Smiler

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.