Took some home smoked bacon and mad some bacon jam.
Sliced bacon and then cut into 3/4 - 1" pieces
Brown bacon over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until most of the fat is rendered off.
Drain the bacon and save the bacon grease for cooking other stuff.
Chop onions and cook in a tablespoon of bacon grease until they start getting translucent.
Combine all the remaining ingredients and cook on high, uncovered, until liquid is syrupy, 4-5 hours.
Here is is reduced and thickened
Transfer to food processor and give a few pulses
Put in air tight containers
Store in fridge for up to 4 weeks.
Recipe I used:
• 2.5 pounds sliced bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
• 3 large yellow onions, diced
• 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled ( I used granulated as I was out of fresh)
• 3/4 cup cider vinegar
• 1 cup packed dark-brown sugar
• 3/4 cup pure maple syrup
• 1 1/2 cup brewed coffee
• 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• Pinch or two of red pepper flakes
I did it all in a slow cooker so not as much clean up or tending.
Think it would be great on a burger or grilled cheese. Tried it on crackers and it was super!
Next time I will use store bought bacon, I doubt it paid to use good bacon for this.