Skip to main content

This is what 3 yrs of lurking in the cookshack forums does ...
After 3 yrs of lurking and 4 years of researching, I finally smoked a prime rib.

Bone in Prime Rib 7.5lbs
Cooked @ 250 until internal temp of 110 degrees.
Lowered temperature to 140 degrees (without opening the door) until internal temperature reached 120.
Opened door for a few minutes and left for 4 hours.
Final result = internal temperature of 134 degrees.

Attachments

Images (7)
  • Seasoning
  • PR_Before2
  • PR_Before3
  • PR_Loaded
  • PR_Holding1
  • PR2
  • PR
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Good looking piece of meat.

GLH,

As far as I'm concerned, with a good tender cut of meat, "If the blood don't run, it's overdone. I eat beef well done, but Vietnam in the late sixites changed a lot of my tastes in food.

After the crap we had to eat, you started looking for anything with flavor. I remember pulling a raw onion out of the ground, cleaning it off, and eating it like an apple.

When I first got home, and we grilled steaks, my Dad refused to sit at the table because I cooked mine so rare. I even prefer vegetables fresh or frozen and microwaved with little or no water, sometimes steamed, or smoked to where there's still some crunch.
I will try to answer all questions in a single reply.

Vettman1: It only took the roast a couple of hours to come to my hold temperature, then about 1 hr after that until the plateau.

GLH: Believe it or not, I prefer it that rare, in fact a little more rare; however, due to our guest, I had to cook it to 134. In fact I finished off a couple of the outside pieces even more for a couple guests. (in my oven)

ezgoin: It looks like we have similar tastes even though in the early sixties I don't think my parents were even married. hehe
quote:
Originally posted by kosy1993:
I will try to answer all questions in a single reply.

Vettman1: It only took the roast a couple of hours to come to my hold temperature, then about 1 hr after that until the plateau.

GLH: Believe it or not, I prefer it that rare, in fact a little more rare; however, due to our guest, I had to cook it to 134. In fact I finished off a couple of the outside pieces even more for a couple guests. (in my oven)

ezgoin: It looks like we have similar tastes even though in the early sixties I don't think my parents were even married. hehe

I wasn't implying I don't like it rare, I do. I was just saying it looks completely raw, on my monitor.

Razzer
I was able to duplicate this with a 4 lb bottom round roast last night in an 055. I tried to get a little rarer but the temp got up to 134 anyway so I figure it came out the same.

Only problem I had was letting it sit at 140. Seemed like my 55 was holding a lot higher temp than 140 and smoke was still coming out indicating it was still heating. I finally turned the smoker off and let it set for a couple of hours.

It was delicious and cooked just right. Thanks!
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
I was able to duplicate this with a 4 lb bottom round roast last night in an 055. I tried to get a little rarer but the temp got up to 134 anyway so I figure it came out the same.

Only problem I had was letting it sit at 140. Seemed like my 55 was holding a lot higher temp than 140 and smoke was still coming out indicating it was still heating. I finally turned the smoker off and let it set for a couple of hours.

It was delicious and cooked just right. Thanks!

I think what you had was the wood still giving off heat as it burned. The element doesn't have to be on for there to be a heat source. Big Grin
Having been over the ignition source for a while while the beef was cooking, the wood will continue to smolder for quite a while, if it isn't all burned to ash. These smokers will retain heat very well. I usually open the door wide for just 2-3 seconds after turning the unit off and it seems to help keep the meat from rising too much. The wood wasn't cooking the meat further.

Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.