Skip to main content

Been smoking almonds for almost a year now and selling them through my coffee vendor at work.
The most popular seem to be the Hickory Smoked Jalapeno Almonds.

for each pound of raw almonds:
3 tablespoons Green Tobasco Sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
1 tablespoon white pepper
2 tablespoons Jalapeno powder
(I get mine through SpiceSage http://www.myspicesage.com/about-my-spice-sage

mix all ingredients and warm over simmering heat on the stove
you'll have a mixture about the sonsistency of sour cream.

Mix thoroughly with 1 pound of raw almonds

smoke with small amount of hickory (I use about 1/4 cup in a screen that I put in the wood box
of the SMO45.
225 degrees f X 2 hours- open door at 1 hour to let off a little moisture.

Let me know if and how well you like 'em.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Spicy-Meat:
Those look tasty. Thanks for the recipe. Do the spices burn at all or loose flavor at that temp?

Pick up a little smoke flavor but the jalapeno powder seems to do just fine. The hardest part was getting enough powder to get a good heat, but not too much to make the nut too gritty and too hot.
I have been selling the almonds and so, was worried about people with egg allergies.
I have been using a mixture of water and corn starch as a "base" (1 tablespoon of corn starch to 1 cup of water and heat to just boiling and boil for 1 minute. The Jalapeno mixture is thick enough it doesn't need the corn starch.

The corn starch mixture works quite well- preferred over the egg whites for expense and allergies.
Que'n, I had never smoked almonds before but after looking at that easy recipe for the jalapeno almonds decided to give it a try. I didn't stray from your recipe and kept it simple.

They came out great and everyone that I have given a sample to has really liked them for the great taste and the little bit of heat that comes later. Smiler

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
I do smoked pecans halves quite often here in AZ. I got the idea here on the forum. I use a 1/4 cup of Grade B maple syrup (for 2 lbs of pecans) to adhere my BBQ rub on with. You don't really taste the maple at all but the rub sticks well and I get a firm covering on the nut. I found honey and some of the other syrups are hydroscopic (they adsorb water) and get sticky so avoid those.
Good luck

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.