Skip to main content

13.5 pound boneless prime rib following mostly the PR 101. And a few tricks I have learned along the way. I used the PG-500 with a mixture of hickory and cherry pellets. The roast fit perfectly in zone 4. Rubbed with Kosher salt and Montreal Steak Season 24 hours in advance. Smoked at 225 degrees for 5 hours. Pulled at internal temp of 120 degrees and FTC for 1.5 hours. 15 minutes in a 500 degree oven and then sliced and served. MY BEST PRIME RIB EVER! I have been serving Prime Rib for about 10 years now. Same people every year. The reviews are always good, but this year I think their were many more "OH MY GAWD!" between bites.

I think the key this year was the 1.5 hours hold at 120 degrees internal. I have let them rest in past years but my timing was never such that 1.5 hours was possible. I had the least amount of graying this year. Only the end cuts had some on the very edges. 1/4 of the way in there was no gray at all. When I was cutting about the 3-4 slice I had no gray at all. It was beautiful and medium rare. It was that medium rare that cuts with a butter knife.

I am going to post another thread for the recipe I used for the side dish of potatoes. I recommend it.

Thanks again everyone for the awesome tips and posts about Prime Rib. Special thanks to Smokin'. I read PR 101 2-3 times in the days and morning leading up to the cook. Outstanding guide!

Here is the picture, just before slicing.

Here is the picture of the 6th slice.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.