Skip to main content

Have made this a few times before, but keep forgetting to post it. Here's the original recipe. This time I took a chuck roast and gave it a good coating of porkmafia Texas Gold rub along with a liberal coating of additional black pepper. In to the smoker at 250 for about 3 1/2 hours til it hits 170 (Missed a pic, almost forgot tp post again).

[Picture of chuck roast coated in rub & pepper goes here].

Meanwhile, cut up the bell peppers, yellow, red and green, a huge red onion, 6 cloves of garlic and since I had some NM Hatch Chile peppers, I took three of the hot ones which were roasted and peeled and diced them up. 1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce and 12 oz of a stout beer. I used a 16oz bottle of Guinness Extra Stout, which left a few swigs for the cook. Wink

After the roast hits 170, place it on top of the veggies and cover with aluminum foil. Into the oven at 350 for about 3 - 3 1/2 hours till the meat is shredable. I decided to save my pellets and put it in the oven, if you have an electric you can crank it up or use the oven.

It's done when you can stick a fork in it and twist it like spaghetti.

Then take out the meat and grab your meat rakes. You do have meat rakes don't you? If not, go order them immediately! I love those things. Shred away and place back into the pan of veggies, and back in the oven uncovered for about a half hour, 45 minutes til the liquid is reduced by about half.

Enjoy!

Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

This one was right at 8 hours, actually crancked up the oven for the last part to 400. We were starting to get hungry. I've done them as quick as 6 hours and as long as 9 1/2 hours. Depends on the pesky chuck roast. I use an FEC now and used Pecan pellets this time. But for the CS models I'd use a couple good sized chunks of hickory, pecan or maple maybe. Whatever your favorite wood for beef is. It really is pretty tasty, glad I found this recipe.

Post pics, would love to see how yours turns out.
Last edited by andyj
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Again, thanks for posting your great recipes with the pics. Always enjoy them. You da man.

Thanks, but most aren't my recipes. I just happen to run across them, if they sound good, I'll usually try them out. Wink I'll usually try anything once if it sounds pretty good, there have been a number of recipes that I've found, BBQ & non BBQ that I've only tried once.

Now what did I come here for... Oh yeah... Trout recipe...
Last edited by andyj
Several threads have commented about beef prices, so I did a quick online search and found the top three reasons cited were: 1) significantly smaller herds due to years of extended drought in the west, 2) higher feed costs due to corn shortages from government ethanol requirements, and 3) increased demand from foreign markets, especially Asia. For what it's worth.
I know I'm not alone in saying that I'm getting a little tired of the nasty weather going on around the country. We have been in the -10 to -20 range for most of the week at night. Now any snow we have on the ground today is blowing to Nebraska!

Not stopping me from smoking a chuck roast for the Pepper Stout Beef recipe that Andy J posted a while back.

Hopefully it turns out as good as your pic's looked.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Bad_Weather
Tried this last weekend Big Grin

6.5 # chuck roast
Generously coated with Lawry's seasoning salt and Cavender's Greek seasoning + some coarse black pepper.

In FEC 100 for about 4 hours at 250F to internal temp of 165.

Put in a 1/2 size pan on top of 2 sliced peppers and one sliced big red onion + a 16oz bottle of Guiness EXTRA Stout beer.

Wrapped tightly, put in 350F oven for about 3 hours.

Shredded and put back in oven until liquid reduced by about 1/2.

Toasted an onion flavored ciabatta bun from Wally world and added a little horseradish mayo.

Made sammich! Ate sammich, repeated about 3 times. Took a long nap.

I loved it. Even though I left out the hot peppers, the wife kind of thought it was borderline hot for her.

Sorry no pics but it looked just like the other ones everyone has posted.

Great recipe, thanks for posting it!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.