Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I bought them at Sam's Club. I just asked the meat guys if they had uncut short ribs since I knew they put cut short ribs out in the meat case. The only downside is if you buy them uncut, you have to putchase a cryovac of them which is four three-rib racks. This works out to about 18-20 lbs per cryovac. And at $3.50 per lb, you can do the numbers. But they are good!

BTW, I pull the membrane from the back of the ribs and then I trim all the silverskin off the top of the ribs.
Last edited by ribdog
Well, El, I don't think it would be right to post the recipe as it is included in Chris Lilly's Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book. I can highly recommend his cookbook as it has many recipes in it that are excellent.

I will say that I cooked the ribs on my IQ4 FEC100. Started them out for the first hour at 150, then raised it up to 275 for the remainder of the cook. Chris' recipe is based on cooking it on a charcoal grill so I had to adjust his recipe for that.

Hope you understand.
Last edited by ribdog
Chris got back to me and has given me permission to post the recipe from his cookbook. Here it is:

Barbecue Beef Short Ribs

Serves 6

Cooking Method:
Indirect Heat

Suggested Wood:
Hickory, Oak, Mesquite

Cooking Time:
2 Hours, 30 Minutes

10 Beef short ribs cut into individual ribs

Dry Rub:

1 Tbls. Salt
4 tsps. Black Pepper
2 tsps. Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsps. Dried Oregano
2 tsps. Garlic Powder
1 ½ tsps. Dried Thyme
1 tsp. Ground Ginger

Stock:

1 cup beef broth, low-salt
3 Tsps. Soy sauce
3 tsps. Minced shallots
2 tsps. Worcestershire Sauce

Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. With a sharp knife, score the top of each rib by cutting ¼ - inch grooves perpendicular to the rib bone every ½ inch. These cuts will provide more surface area of bark (the flavorful crust).

In a small bowl, combine the dry ingredients and mix well. Apply a generous coat of the rub to all sides of each rib.

Build a fire (wood or a combination of charcoal and wood) for indirect cooking by situating the coals on side of the grill, leaving the other side void. Place the beef ribs on the cooker (bone side down) away from the coals, close the lid, and cook with indirect heat (approximately 275*F) for 1 ½ hours or until the internal temperature of the beef is 160*F.

Once the meat reaches 160*F internal temp, remove the ribs and place them in the center of doubled sheet of aluminum foil, meat side down. In a small bowl, combine the stock mixture and pour it over the ribs. Wrap tightly in foil, trapping the juice inside. Return the foil pack to the grill, close the lid, and cook over indirect heat for 1 hour, or until the internal temperature of the beef reaches 200*F.

Remove the foil packet from the grill and let the beef rest in the foil for 15 minutes. Unwrap the ribs and slice each one to bone at all of the scored cuts. This will create bite-size chunks of meat and allow the juice to penetrate the bark, providing more flavor.

Recipe from: Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Book, Chris Lilly, Clarkson Potter/Publishers, 2009.
Name dropper!

Next I guess you'll want us to believe that you know other celebrity cooks like Tom, Smokin' Okie, Dr. BBQ, and Rachel Ray and Shania Twain. Smiler

I went by to see Ribman today. He's this guy that sells ribs beside a gas station on the outskirts of town. He was taking a nap in his van and the guy helping him wouldn't even wake him up, but you get Chris Lilly to call you back. Amazing.
Yep,

It's amazing what some State Championships will get you.(LOL)

Heck, most people have to pay for classes, beg for recipes. Me I buy a CS and get everything else free. Privite lessons, personal recipes, and a some fine people to answer questions.

Why would anyone own something different?

Thanks Ribdog,Chris, and Cookshack!!!
Actually, I don't have Chris' cell phone number but I could probably get it if I needed it. Just sent him an email and he repsonded the same day. Chris has always been a very fine gentleman and all around nice guy. I feel very fortunate to know him and call him a friend.

BTW, I feel very fortunate to have met Smokin Okie, Tom and Dr. BBQ. All of them taught me a great deal about BBQ. Even got to cook on the same team as Tom and get to cook these days occasionally with Dr. BBQ.

To be honest with you, many people on the circuit and in the world of BBQ are that way. They put their ribs on the smoker the same as all of us.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.