Skip to main content

I decided to smoke some chicken for some New Years Eve Smoked Chicken Enchiladas. I had two birds ready to go. I did not brine these birds. I am doing a test to see how different Spatchcock and whole birds come out in my PG-500 smoke. The idea is to go low/slow and not worry about the skin since I will only be using the meat for my dish. I did season them all over mostly for picture presentation. Seasoned inside and out.

Using Pecan Pitmaster Select.

Temp set to 200 LHT10/HHT30 also removed damper for this smoke. It tends to help at the low temp.

Both birds were about 4.5 pds each.

One spatchcocked and one whole bird

Seasoned in and out. Not to worried about skin in this smoke, temp will never be above 200 degrees.

Placed in the 200 degree smoker in zone 4 furthest away with the white meat away from heat source.

Damper removed and distance away from heat.

After 2 hours. Turned smoker up to 250 degrees when the birds hit 120.

After 3.5 hours pulled the birds at 155 breast temp. Foiled in a pan and let rest for 1 hour.

Excuse the cilantro. One of the chicken breast. This was from the whole bird. As you can see the breast was moist. This was the same in the spatchcocked bird. I didn't notice much difference in the birds. The spatchcock bird did get to temperature 35 minutes earlier.

Dinner is done.

And served.

The meal was delicious. I tasted the meat several times when we were pulling it, and it had a good smokey flavor. There was no smoke flavor detected in the enchiladas. I am not surprised with all the cheese and sauce and other ingredients. Thanks for reading.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Chacahola Tiger:
Padrefan......on the picture that is focused on the direct cooking grid, zone 1, what is the white stuff on the grid? Is that pellet dust?

Yes, that is ash from the pellets, I'm guessing there is more on the grill because he is operating it without the fire diffuser in place?
I have never noticed any ash at all. The ash only moves around right at startup. If I was worried about that, I would just clean the cup before every start up but I don't. I usually only clean it once for every 20lb bag.

I don't have a recipe. I just throw it together. I can tell you, I use refried beans, chicken, cheese, cilantro, green chili's, onions, seasoning in the filling. I quickly fry the corn tortillas and then dip them in the red sauce before makeing the enchiladas. Some people have referred to my dish as more of a enchillada casserole or mexican lasagna. I pack them in tight so there really is no individual enchilada when serving.
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I have never noticed any ash at all. The ash only moves around right at startup. If I was worried about that, I would just clean the cup before every start up but I don't. I usually only clean it once for every 20lb bag.

I don't have a recipe. I just throw it together. I can tell you, I use refried beans, chicken, cheese, cilantro, green chili's, onions, seasoning in the filling. I quickly fry the corn tortillas and then dip them in the red sauce before makeing the enchiladas. Some people have referred to my dish as more of a enchillada casserole or mexican lasagna. I pack them in tight so there really is no individual enchilada when serving.

Padre, it really does you great, I thought that was a single serving.
hi, i just got my Pg 1000 pellet grill, best food i ever ate. i made pizza the other night on it. i have designed and made a 11 gauge non stick pizza pan that i use because the crust is 12" and the direct side is 10 " . i spun the pizza a few time on the pan and i had pizzeria crust. it was fabulous. i am using it almost every night ... i also have a Amerique and a fec 100 i really love too. i wanted to sell one of them but my wife won't let me.. what a great problem to have.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.