Skip to main content

Decided to split my 6 lbs of almonds into 2 flavors...typical garlic and experiment with barbecue flavored. For the garlic I used my old standby recipe, not adding the garlic juice/additional garlic granules until the almonds were smoked. For the barbecue almonds, I followed the same recipe substituting barbecue spice for the garlic granules. Once the mixed almonds were placed on the cookie sheets, I sprinkled on more barbecue spice and a very light sprinkling of brown sugar...then into the smoker.

Here are the almonds just before smoking them. Garlic on the left, barbecue on the right.

Threw them into a preheated 210* smoker for 4 hrs, flipping them over once halfway, chunk white oak and packet of apple pellets. After taking them out of the smoker, the Garlic almonds were sprayed with garlic juice and sprinkled with garlic granules. Additonal sprinkling of barbecue spice on the barbecue almonds. Here they are getting some air for about an hour.

Both turned out pretty good. The garlic almonds were perfect with a stronger garlic and light smoke flavoring. The barbecue tasted fine...light smoke flavor but just didn't seem to have that deep barbecue flavoring you find on commercial almonds. Family liked them, but I'm going to have to experiment with the other 3 lb bag I have. More barbecue spices? More wetting agent necessary?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yum Pags! I have got to get me some more of that garlic juice. Do you have the roasted garlic version also? I found them on the internet years ago.

The Barbeque Almonds that I have been making come out really good for us at least. I smoke them at 200 for 2 1/2 hours. I tried the 250 mentioned else where and stupid me should have checked them while cooking. They over cooked, a little dark on the inside, so I threw them in the garbage, ouch! 5 cups of almonds wasted. Then I realized (really throw into sink for garbage disposal) that they were washing off as I rinsed other stuffed. Oh well, no saving them. Started again. My recipe is similar to what you did. I use about 1/2 of a limes juice for 3 cups of almonds. I used a tablespoon of cornstarch to 2 - 3 tbls of seasoning. I mix in bowl and spread on my metal mats and sprinkle with a little more BBQ seasoning (Butchers Premium BBQ Rub) and a little garlic pwdr. I think the commercial stuff must have some kind of special BBQ flavored liquid cooked onto them. I can picture them turning in big drums with all that stuff as they cook. Maybe I watch too much food programs Big Grin Our homemade are better anyway, made with LOVE. And we have to experiment, just like Smokin always says.

Just thinking out loud, but using the mesh metal mats with all holes maybe mine cook differently that's why I use less time and I don't turn mine. BTW, the 14" round silver pizza mesh rack sold at RD works well in the 025.
Pags,

Maybe it's the rub itself. Is it a Grocery store rub or a premium, contest type BBQ rub, the photo if that's it on the right, looks like something off the shelf.

Maybe something with a little more omph? Look at the ingredient list, if Paprika is #1 or 2 (with salt probably) then it's a wasted spice. Paprika is a good filler, but I don't think it cooks into much of a flavor.
Two cookie sheets fit inside the slots. Grates on top of slots holding two more cookie sheets. Frog mats are smart, but the only way I could figure out how to get 6 lbs of almonds into a 2 rack Cookshack Elite was to use cookie sheets.

I use the regular as well as the roasted garlic version. Mrs. Pags found a local grocery store selling another version of this garlic juice. I've searched the forum for 15 minutes, Vicki, and can't find the internet site showing the stores where this garlic juice is sold. dls originally provided it, and maybe he'd be kind enough to post it again for you. Might be at a store convenient to you.

Yea Smokin. You hit the nail square on the head. I got the rub at RD because it said "Barbecue Spice".
I didn't figure I was looking for something like Dr. BBQ's rub or Rib Tickler, but something that tasted like barbecue flavoring. The 3 ingredients...salt spices, paprika, and sugar. Today's finger taste showed it to be pretty bland.

That said, wouldn't I still be looking for barbecue flavoring vs a barbecue rub? And where to find that?
Last edited by pags
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
That said, wouldn't I still be looking for barbecue flavoring vs a barbecue rub? And where to find that?

Well, your creating this, if you're wanting BBQ flavors why wouldn't you use a rub.

I don't think anyone would say rubs aren't spices and spices are rubs, so it's all about whatever flavor profile you're wanitng.

Heat? CS chicken rub
Sweet? Cimarron docs or other sweet rub
Well. I went online and found some recipes for BBQ potato chips. Thinks I'll try this one to see what it produces.

2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
3 ½ teaspoons Bacon Salt
2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 pinch Cayenne Pepper
1 teaspoon Paprika
1½ teaspoon Brown Sugar

I didn't figure a normal barbecue rub would work because the rub carmelizes with the meat juices and smoke to produce its flavor. On chips or almonds, I thought I needed an imitation BBQ flavor. I may have to rethink this. I'll make a portion of the next batch using the recipe above and a portion using a regular BBQ rub and give feedback on the results.

Something to do on a rainy day.
quote:
I needed an imitation BBQ flavor.

I think smoking them in a smoker takes away "imitation" even if you use no rub. Your Almonds are Da Bomb and I should know since I "had" some (all gone).

I know people that use BBQ rubs for seasoning on chips and popcorn.

All about flavor profile.

What IS BBQ Flavor anyway? Not sure I can define it Confused
I've been on the internet looking at BBQ recipes for almonds and potato chips. Many of them call for a regular BBQ rub like Smokin suggests...even one that calls for Paul Kirk's BBQ rub. So I'll do a split batch with one of my BBQ rubs and the one above. I'll post results.

Cool I found the dls' post. It's Garlic Valley Farms. Go to their site indicator and find a store near you that carries it.

Check out their many recipes for the garlic juice. Smiler
Thx Cal. I figure this would be an internet purchase. I'll use it on a future almond smoke.

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
quote:
I needed an imitation BBQ flavor.

Your Almonds are Da Bomb and I should know since I "had" some (all gone).

Glad you enjoyed them Smokin. I wanted to send you more but I was at the end of my last batch (they don't last long) when I sent you the exchange package.

So I'm heading to the post office now with another batch for you.

First batch...exchange.
Second batch...for being a good moderator.

I included some of the almonds in a 32 on spice container. US Plastics doubled my order so I know it'll come in handy. These almonds are toastier than the last batch...that's how Mrs. Pags likes them.
quote:
Glad you enjoyed them Smokin.
First batch...exchange.
Second batch...for being a good moderator.

You too kind, now you're gonna get us addicted to them then we won't be able to make them like you.

Now I see how you are.

Almond Addicts Anonymous here I come.
Small world Pags and Cal - I went to the garlic juice manufacturers site and clicked on their link to cookperfect.com where they sell the juice, then if you click on a link at the bottom that says grilling/BBQ they sell all the Obie-Cue's rubs you mentioned and stuff - along with others and sauces. I have to book mark that site!

I remember now Pags, I ran across the Juice spray by accident because I was researching mosquito prevention (they sell garlic concentrate to spray in a yard sprayer to keep the bugs away) Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
Small world Pags and Cal - I went to the garlic juice manufacturers site and clicked on their link to cookperfect.com where they sell the juice, then if you click on a link at the bottom that says grilling/BBQ they sell all the Obie-Cue's rubs you mentioned and stuff - along with others and sauces. I have to book mark that site!

I remember now Pags, I ran across the Juice spray by accident because I was researching mosquito prevention (they sell garlic concentrate to spray in a yard sprayer to keep the bugs away) Smiler

If you have a whole Foods or a Fresh market they sell the Garlic Juice
I got it after I posted...We have Whole Foods about 45 min. to an hour away and wasntgonna grive that unless I really needed to. I love the ones that I have been to, I would shop there all the time if I could. I have a Trader Joes about 40 min. away. I go there once in a while. I am spoiled because the regular supermarket is so close.
Vicki - On the Garlic Valley Farms website they refer you to 2 independent online retailers that you can order the garlic juice from. I also know that you can purchase it on Amazon.

As another poster mentioned, send me a PM and I'll mail some to you. I get it at my neighborhood butcher shop which is 2 blocks from my house, and my wife or I are in there 3-4 times weekly.
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
WOW Vicki you may end up with more of this thaen you can use. I put a bottle in the mail to you today. Good luck

Good for you, Richard. Nice job. As I mentioned, The garlic juice is very easy for me to obtain near my house in the Chicago area. That is, when we're there. I'm currently in Florida and my wife's in Seattle, an neither of us return home until later next week. So your timing is spot on.
Hey pags! I burnt a batch last night in the first hour. I couldn't figure it out at first and then I realized, I put the cookie sheet in the bottom position. This created a baffle, and burnt that tray. The top tray which was a smaller cake pan, was fine. Guess I usually have them switched for a reason. Wasn't thinking last night. Anyways-Thought I would share, so that it doesn't happen to anybody else.

One good thing was I was testing my new thermometer and it started beeping at 240. I thought that's weird I had the smoker set for 225 and the thermometer set to go off at 240 to warn me if something went wrong. Before I realized what was happening, the smoker reached 260 and so I decided to open the door. I could see that the bottom batch was already black. All this happened one hour in. That element must have been trying to heat up but the internal thermometer wasn't getting any heat because of the baffle.
Sounds like something was blocked.

On the trays in the slots, make sure heat and smoke can permeate in front and back of the trays. Rotate the bottom and top slotted trays after flipping the almonds. Make sure none of the trays are near the smoker's meat therm. Also, I run the smoker at 190-200* figuring the cooler temp will help with this.
OK. The barbecued almonds turned out very tasty. Nice smoke flavor with a light sweetness and very mild barbecue flavoring. Enjoyable. But not picking up the barbecue flavor like you get with barbecued potato chips.

I may need to rethink the whole process. I believe the toasting/smoking masks the flavorings we add prior to smoke. That's why the garlic almonds turn out so tasty...we're adding garlic juice and more garlic after the smoke. They wind up with a nice stronger smoky/garlic flavor.

For an experiment, next time I will smoke/toast the almonds first. Then add the wetting agent (water?) and flavorings after the smoke and let the almonds air dry.

Just trying to perfect the process. This will take awhile. I'v got 9 lbs of almonds to get through.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.