Skip to main content

Decided to smoke a boneless leg of lamb for dinner tonight. Yanked the lamb out of the fridge and cut off the string holding it in place. It was only 3 lbs becasue it was left over from some lamb appetisers I made previously. Rubbed olive oil inside and out, followed by a liberal sprinkling of Greek spices rubbed inside and out. Here's a picture of the lamb seperated and rubbed:

I then retied the lamb and sprinkled it with Greek Oregano (distinct and different than regular oregano, but important in my mind). Here's how it looked. Not a bad tie job: Smiler

Set it in the fridge for 5 hrs letting the flavors meld, then removed and placed it on the counter for 45 minutes. Placed the lamb into a cold smoker set to 250* and used a chunk of White Oak...versus Hickory because I wanted a milder smoke flavor. Meat temperature was 48* when I placed it into the smoker. After 2 hrs, the lamb reached an internal of 130*. I pulled it and let it set under loose foil for 30 mintues. Here's the leg of lamb fresh out of the smoker:

It looks great and smelled awesome, but looked even better once I sliced it. Here it is on my plate with some long rice and garlic bread just before diving into it:

Medium rare. Tasty. Tender. Light smoke flavor. Great Greek accent. It could have been cut with a fork. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Greek Rub

2 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 tsp dried oregano
1 ½ tsp pepper
1 tsp salt, sea, or kosher, or iodized
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp corn starch or arrow root
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp beef bouillon granules or powder without MSG
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp lemon zest
½ tsp meat tenderizer without MSG
½ tsp celery salt
¼ tsp cinnamon powder
¼ tsp nutmeg powder
¼ tsp ground thyme

I usually make a triple batch of this rub and have it whenever I want it. If you choose to take the easy route, Cavender's Greek Spices is pretty good. Most groceries carry it. Rub leg of lamb with olive oil first. As a final touch, add oregano. Greek oregano if you can find it.
Pags, That lamb is beautiful. Looks perfectly cooked - Rare and pink throughout with no over cooked grey edges. Exactly the way I like lamb.

I was sitting here with a cup of morning coffee thinking about what to do for dinner tonight when I saw your post. Now I have my answer. Thanks.

Just called the butcher and ordered a 4 LB. boneless leg. I've got white oak, EVOO, Cavendar's, and Greek oregano, so it looks like I'm good to go. Hope it comes out as nice as yours.
Pags- can't out do you, but I gave your Greek boneless leg of lamb a try- taste's aboout like what I had while vacationing in Greece several years ago. No gamey flavor, just plain delicious. I'd like to post your recipe on my butcher's website (could be worth a $25.00 certificate for meat) if it's OK with you.

I'm not a huge fan of lamb, but this turned out great. Have some left- going to slice it thin and make gyros out of the leftovers.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Greek_boneless_leg_of_lamb

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.