Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I'm making a guess on this, but here we go.

I don't think Robbi is familiar with the FE100 line, I've had mine up to 495 or so, that's plenty hot. Certainly the regular CS's don't get that high.

My only concern, is the amount of soot seems to increase in the higher burns. Don't know this as a fact, it was just something that occurred during some early tests.

Not having done this, but we do Grill pizza's a lot so here's what I'd suggest.

1) some your ingredients first, such as sausage or chicken so they get plenty of flavor.

2) put the pizza in plain, just long enough to crisp the dough. Little on both sides for sure. Probably no more than 5 min a side

3) take them out, add sauce, ingredients and put back in the oven.

Now my concern is that you need to get the oven hot enough for the crust. That's why the first step. When you put them back in, you'll need to drop the temp but I'm not sure what to. It needs to be in there long enough to get smoky flavor but not long enough for the crust to get mushy.

See why there haven't been many smoked bbq recipes on the internet.

When we grill them, we smoke the meats and finish on the grill.
I have not tried pizzas in my FE100; I use the grill. If you were going to try; you could use the bottom shelf (#4) to cook the crust and then the middle two shelves (#2 and 3) to heat the toppings. You would want to run it as hot as possible (oak pellets?).

When we do pizza here: I cook the crust on my gas grill at 650 to 700. After 8 to 10 minutes, remove crust to add toppings. Return pizza to grill for 5 to 7 minutes, remove once toppings are heated and cheese has melted. Smoked sausage, onions and peppers are the best in my book.
Randy
I generally cook pizzas 450-500 degrees on a pizza stone which really makes for a better crust. And the crust is really the most important part of the thing! Also, the crust is greatly improved if you can make it in advance and leave it in the fridge to rise; the morning works well.

My crust recipe (makes two 'medium' pies):
1 C water @100 degrees
Add a teaspoon of sugar for the yeast to feast on; then a teaspoon or package of yeast. Let it 'proof' for a few till you see it working.
Then add a teaspoon of salt, 2 or 3 tsp of oil, and two cups of flour; mix well.
Begin adding more flour until you get a fairly stiff dough. Knead by hand or in a mixer until it is good and smooth.
Let it rise as slowly as you can...a cool place if you have time; a warm one if you need it sooner.

Stretch it by hand, don't roll it.
Try to leave as much air as possible in it- this will help create those bubbles (I call 'em cysts!) which really make it like a pizzeria!

Hope it goes well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.