Skip to main content

I have a pretty new Podler with a new battery that I've used a few times. I have a 12 lbs turkey that's been cooking at 200 degrees for 10 hours. The Podler reads 169 degrees. I checked the turkey in a few places with my instant read dial thermometer and it read 140 to 145 degrees. Who's telling the truth?

I then took both thermometers and inserted each probe into boiling water. Each read 210 degrees.

Is my turkey done? Is my Podler on the fritz?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yep, I think your Polder probe or unit is gone bad, indeed. I also believe you could have a bad thermostat or heating element in your Smokette.

BTW, why are you cooking turkey on 200*? Not being a smartbutt or telling you how to cook poultry or use your Smokette, but if you thought you had problems with your Smokette having low temps, why not turn it up all the way? Also, why not see about testing it to know for sure and if so, you can get it fixed. Do you know what the average box temp is when turned up full blast?

Merry Christmas.

Cool
check it in both Ice water and boiling water..
32ºF and 212ºF.

BTW, I cook all my poultry at the highest setting in my 008.. 250º. My last 12#er took 3 1/2 hours in the smoker and 20 minutes on the Weber to crisp up the skin.. and was succulent..

I don't know why one would cook it at 200º.. When cooked in an oven or a BGE it is cooked at a much higher temp. Maybe you all can enlighten me.. Thanks.. and a Blessed Christmas to all.
I sometimes cook the turkey at 200 for scheduling purposes. Are there reasons why I shouldn't do that? I do use cure in the brine. I also thought smoke-cooking is more of a low temp method rather than higher temp oven style cooking. But, I'm always learning and look forward to feedback and suggestions.
Being that you are using cure in the brine, that should help guard against bacteria growth. Cooking poultry at the lower temps places the bird in the danger zone for quite a while. Plus, most people cook their poultry, read "chicken", hot at contests in order to get crispy skins. I think that kind of flows over to cooking turkeys and such at home.

And you are correct in that smoke-cooking is more of a low and slow process.
I have 2 of the Taylor thermos and they seem to work fine. One drawback with the silicon cable is that it is only rated for 392 degrees F. I know that temp is fine for smokers, but you can't use them when high temp roasting in your oven. I also have two Pyrex thermos with the braided cables which work fine and can be used in hot ovens.
Lose the dial thermometers and get a Thermopen! I know the price is a shocker, but believe me they are worth it! Various boards have access to group buys and can bring the price down lower. I haven't tried the Taylors, but the ones I've seen are less expensive than the Polders. I remove the batteries on my Polders, it would be nice if they had a power switch.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/thermapen_faq.html

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.