Skip to main content

Let me preface this by saying that my wife had given up on ever making pork loin. She tried to cook it in every way possible including a long, slow cook in a crockpot with lots of liquid, but everything she tried turned out to be tough and dry.

Then a friend of mine, in an off-hand comment, said he had cooked a pork loin using the 7-6-5 method and it turned out fantastic. Since I have never seen this method mentioned here, I thought I would write it up.

The 7-6-5 Method

1) Heat up the grill as hot as it will go. I used a gas grill and the temp showed 600 degrees. If yours will go higher, you might want to scale back a bit.

2) Put the loin on for 7 minutes with the grill closed.

3) Turn the loin, and grill for 6 minutes with the grill closed.

4) Turn off the grill, and let the loin sit for 5 minutes as is, with the cover closed.

Eat.

We've done it three times now and can't say enough about it.

On a thick loin, it might have a pink center, which this household doesn't mind a bit. If you want it a little more done, you might try 8-7-5.

We still are awed by the tenderness and juicy-ness of this cut of meat done in this fashion.

We marinaded with a Korean BBQ sauce but no other prep. No brining.

Give it a try!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
On a thick loin, it might have a pink center, which this household doesn't mind a bit. If you want it a little more done, you might try 8-7-5.

I don't mind pink pork either, but I'll always use a thermometer to make sure it's at least 145. Pink is fine, raw is not. Wink

There goes my plans for a pork sushi restaurant! Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.