Skip to main content

Pulled this off the old cookshack site, wanted to post some of the "best of".
Please add your information that you've learned so others may learn.

Here's some basic info I posted about Ribs.

Pork Ribs 101 (the basics)

I know I'll leave something out, but this will at least help you with your first attempt.
Prep

Yup, get those puppies ready. Take the membrane off the back (that's the papery thing that you get when you're eating the ribs, but you can't eat it). I take it off so my rub can penetrate the back. Use a simple butter knife or something without a point.

Taking Off Membrane using a blunt knife:

Large Photo

Insert it over a rib bone and try to pry it up without ripping it. Takes some practice, but it's worth the effort. I just did 12 racks of ribs or I would have answered you sooner. I start on the wide end, at the last rib and use a papertowel to get it off.

Rub

Now rub those puppies.

Apply Rub:

Large Photo

I agree with Dennis, if you need to on a lot of cuts, mustard does a great job of holding the rub on (and you won't taste it later -- really) I don't use mustard on my ribs, but I do on brisket and pulled pork. If you've got the cookshack rub great, if not, I can point you to some basic rubs. I cover the ribs completely. Put them in a pan and let them sit overnight if possible.

Cook

Cook those puppies. I set my small smokette for 225 and put the ribs in. I don't normally have to pre-heat it, just put them in. I put them in with the meat down for the first couple of hours.

Wood

What wood for those puppies? Well, we all have our preferences. For pork, I do nothing but apple or cherry, sometimes Pecan (it's a stronger smoke, but it's great). Lots like hickory. Don't use Mesquite -- too strong for pork for most people. Did you get the sampler kit with the smoker. Try the hickory if you can't find the apple/cherry.

WARNING!!! don't over smoke them (lessons we all learned the first time we used our smokette) in the smokette, for a couple of slabs, I wouldn't put more than 2 or 3 chunks your first time.

They're done when they're done

When will those puppies ever be done? Depending on temp (it's always good to know what the real temp is, not the dial temp) they can be done in as little as 3 and up to 5 or more. I'd suggest at the 3 hour point you open the door and check them out. I have some firemen's gloves and I pick mine up to see how they're doing. Look at them. When you pick the rack up is it falling apart or not, the rib meat will shrink back from the bone, that's normal.

Notice pullback from edge of bone:

Large Photo

If you're wanting fall off the bone (most people do) then just shake a rib bone, if they're not ready, put them back in and check them in 30 to 45. Repeat until you're happy. You can always take them out, cut one off, eat it and throw them back in. At the three hour point, I'll generally flip them over (with the bone side up, grease will puddle there, yuk, get rid of it) I'll also spray them down with apple juice from now on whenever I open the door.

Finished Ribs:

Large Photo

There are not too many set rules. follow those, experiment and you'll have great success.

Finished Ribs (notice splitting skin):

Notice how the skin, instead of being smooth, starts "splitting" this is another sign they're ready to pull out and eat.

Large Photo

Finished Ribs � Side view:

Let's Eat!

Large Photo

Double Cut Ribs:
For something different, try a "double cut" The idea is that instead of cutting at each rib, cut the rib so the bone is in the middle and there is meat on both sides (thus, two cuts) and you get a bigger rib.

Large Photo

Keep good notes so you'll know what you did, what you didn't like and how to repeat it. Note the type of meat, the weight, etc.

Good Luck

Good Q'in on ya
Smokin Okie

[This message has been edited by SmokinOkie (edited March 24, 2001).]
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great job Smokin Okie! Thanks for taking the time to do this and yes it is worth it and helpful. My only concern is these good posts will get lost in the mix with all the other good posts. I wonder if there is a way to more easily identify or put them in there own section called "cooking examples or cooking walkthru" (something better but I'm shooting from the hip) that only certain people can post to - more for viewing only. Thanks for the rib pictures, I really enjoy seeing others "work".

John

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.