Skip to main content

8 AM put 12.23 lb. boneless pork shoulder in smokette 008. Since it was boneless it was in 2 pieces (good thing cause wouln't have fit otherwise).This is my 3rd smoke but my first using 2 racks- I put the heavier piece on bottom with the maverice thermometer. It is now 11:37 and the temp is at 152*. Is this cooking to fast? Should I try to move the bottom one up to the middle? Does the outside temp have a bering on this- it's 100* in the shade with 90* humidity
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Do not watch them like a hawk, if this is your first time, just put them in and plan on a min of 2 hours a pd (so if they're 6lb, min 12 hours). It's more likely a 2 pack of pork butts, not shoulder, in in SC, it could be.

You haven't even hit the plateau. Put them both on the same shelf and just let them go.

Outside temp isn't affecting them.
quote:
Originally posted by Cornish:
8 AM put 12.23 lb. boneless pork shoulder in smokette 008. Since it was boneless it was in 2 pieces (good thing cause wouln't have fit otherwise).This is my 3rd smoke but my first using 2 racks- I put the heavier piece on bottom with the maverice thermometer. It is now 11:37 and the temp is at 152*. Is this cooking to fast? Should I try to move the bottom one up to the middle? Does the outside temp have a bering on this- it's 100* in the shade with 90* humidity

Like Smokin says. You are over-thinking the whole thing. Keep it simple. Put the pork in then drink beer and watch TV, take a nap etc. It'll be done when it's ready. My pork buts usually take about 18 hrs.
Well, Smokin, learning something new everday. I was originally concerned since the temperature came up so quickly but didn't look and temp finally reached 180* about 5:00. In my oven that would have been really well done- sliced a bit but we weren't to happy- very fatty tasting. So stuck it back in- thankfully this was for lunches so no panic- put temp on 200* and let it go for another 6 hours. Now it was perfect! pulled apart like butter. Out of 12.23 lbs, froze 2 1 1/2 lb packages and my glutonous family ate the rest in 2 days. Bought another brisket( that was our first smoke) but this one is going in overnight so I don't hover over the thermometer. Thanks to all who replyed to my panic post. Susan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.