Skip to main content

This will be my first time smoking a shoulder in my Cook Shack 205. I have had success with my Primo in a pan with a mop sauce, and in my Small Prime Rib oven. Do I need a pan in the 205 or just put it on a rack? Also, I've seen something about watching out for the proper temperature for converting the calogen what does this mean?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Finman
I would put some rub on it and put it on the rack. I presume you are talking about the "plateau" which is when the temps stall for a bit while fat is rendered. You'll see the temp rise until it reaches this point, then it may sit at one temp for awhile. Try clicking on the "find button above and type in pork shoulder. Be sure to uncheck the "this forum only" box. You'll find dozens of posts on pork shoulder. I haven't done a shoulder, but have done many butts in my 250, I just put em on the rack. They come out wonderful.

Jack
I have been taught that the longer the big meats set in the plateau,the better job they do of rendering fat,breaking down collagen [tough stuff] without cooking all the moisture out of the product.

Lots of folks think that the old bbq standard of around 225* is a good place to start.

The CS cooks very moist,so as mentioned above,the pan wouldn't be necessary.

You aren't exactly in whole shoulder [16-20 lbs on today's market hogs] country.

Are you cooking whole shoulders,or a piece the market has labeled with shoulder in the description?
Fellas,

Good advice, Sorry I was referring to "the butt Bob". Whole shoulders have been hard to find around here however, picnics/butts are readily available. How long will an 8# butt hold at 195* with an oven temp of 225*? They're going in in about an hour and I hope they will be done by 6 or 8 in the morning. I'll keep you posted.
Sorry, it has been a long time since I first posted my question on this subject. The white tail season came and went and it had all of my attention w/o internet access. The shoulders "butts" turned out great. I was surprised at the amount of smoke flavor that was in the meat, I used four handball size pieces of mesquite. It took about 15 hours to get to a temperature of 185 degrees. Also, I was surprised about how moist the meat was without using a pan. Since the deer season proved to be a success I was able to smoke 50 lbs. of thuringer and summer sausage plus 25 lbs. of sticks. I will post some questions regarding that experience. I am sold an the cooker.

Finman

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.