Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

No.

Some will slice them off, put some rub on the meat and then tie them back.

I like to serve some of the slices with "bone on" so I don't slice. And it's just more work to cut, tie, etc.

I think ANY cook with bones attached is better. Chefs tell us that bone marrow and cooking with bones attaches is preferred.

Smokin'
david,
funny you should post this today.
i know from your past posts that your tastes are similar to mine.
here's my problem. came back from the doc's today and i have to get my weight and cholestraol down. funny part was i went in for a sore foot 2 weeks ago.
i have done many prime ribs in an oven but never in a smoker as we are trying to save every penny towards growing the business..
upshot is this would make a great final meal for me before i go back to whey protein drinks.
can you please get me in the ball park with some temp and time settings that you use???
thanks
jack
ps. this will also mean i have to give up my scallops and shrimp in a garlic cream sauce. that was my sunday i just can't take no more smoke treat Big Grin
I will be most happy to help. I have my BBQ note book at the ready. So far I have used Smokins 101 as a basic guide. I rubbed the meat with pepper, kosher salt, garlic pwdr. rosemary, and a bit of thyme. I had a bit of rub left over, I may put it on just before smoking. This will be my first smoke where I preheat my 09. I am looking to go to Internal temp. of 130*. I have some rosemary growing in the balcolny. I am going to use some of the fresh rosemary, 1 garlic clove, and 1oz of apple wood. My wife doesn't want me to use any wood...you know how it is. I just got to have some smoke!! I will keep you informed!
Oh yea, sounds like you need a new doctor Wink
David
Jack (and all), Instead of making a traditional horseradish sauce, I found a recipe in one of my CS cook books. Wildberry vinegarete.
1/2C Rasberry vinegar
1/2C honey
3/4C olive oil
3/4C mixed berries (mine will be frozen grocery store type)
salt & pepper to taste.
whisk and serve.
My prime rib is in now. I used 1oz apple wood, 1 garlic clove, and 2 sprigs of rosemary. Preheated my 09 to 250+ put in the loaded smoke box and meat. I went with the 12min/lb. for my 8.25lb roast that equates to 1hour 40min. At that time I will open the door to reduce the oven temp. and re-set therm. to 140. Hold for a min of 4hours.
I used this method b/c it is simple. This will give me a baseline to make adjustments in the future. Although at $6.95/lb I probably wont be doing this on a daily basis.
The rub was from Stuart and Smokin's 101
1T garlic powder
1T dried Rosemary
2T course ground pepper
2T salt (I always use kosher)
I added 1T of Thyme.
I will have some pics to post later.
Smoke N Itlay
OK, Just finished the PR. GREAT!!! Everyone loved it. The mixed berry sauce was good. I did about 1/2 cup of brown sugar. My cook times were about as predicted. Preheat to 250* cook for 12min/lb. Reduce oven to 140 and relax. I made a couple of adjustments on the thermo. The 09 holds heat very well!
NOW, caution, 130* is RARE!!! I like all my beef rare. My wife was reluctant, but loved it. If someone is really against rare, I would go to 135-140. 130* takes about 6-6.5hours. PERFECT! I did not serve wiht the bone in. I removed the bone before serving. I will fwd some pics to Smokin to post.
thanks to everyone for the help!!!!!
Smoke N Italy
David -- Hopefully, you saved the bones after carving. If so, for a great snack at a later time, preheat your broiler to high. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in the 1 teaspoon each dry mustard, cayenne and Worcestershire. Season with salt and pepper.

Brush the ribs with the spiced butter, then roll in bread crumbs, coating well. Place in a broiler pan and broil, turning occasionally and basting with remaining butter, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes.
david,
thanks man!!!! i sure owe you one on this!!!! i printed off the recipe and times. really like the idea of the garlic and rosemary in the smokebox. sure will be a good last meal!!!!!!
dls,
thanks for snack recipe. figure i could have 2 bones once a week and boy will that be a treat after 6 days of whey protein Big Grin
again thanks guys!!!!!
jack
ps. and by the grin on your helpers face it's gotta be a winner!!!!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.