Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Just added "Prime Rib 101" in the open forum, but it's only a draft.

Hook is right.

I usually get it for $7 to $9 a pound.

Also, just because it says "prime" doesn't mean it's prime grade. Most of the Prime I buy is actually choice grade.

So, what does Prime Prime rib cost.

Found one place on the internet, hold on to your wallets, this is for the prime stuff, uncooked of course:

• (3 lbs.) Natural Prime Boneless Rib Roast - $107.98
  • (5 lbs.) Natural Prime Boneless Rib Roast - $179.98
  • (8 lbs.) Natural Prime Boneless Rib Roast - $287.98
  • (11 lbs.) Natural Prime Boneless Rib - $395.98
  • (4 lbs.) Natural Prime Bone-In Rib Roast - $127.98
  • (7 lbs.) Natural Prime Bone-In Rib Roast - $223.98
  • (10 lbs.) Natural Prime Bone-In Rib Roast - $319.98
  • (14 lbs.) Natural Prime Bone-In Rib - $447.98
  • (4 lbs.) Natural Prime Boned & Tied Rib Roast - $131.98
  • (7 lbs.) Natural Prime Boned & Tied Rib Roast - $230.98
  • (10 lbs.) Natural Prime Boned & Tied Rib Roast - $329.98
  • (14 lbs.) Natural Prime Boned & Tied Rib - $461.98
We have a butcher shop about a mile from our house that sells only prime beef. Every now and again we decide to forgo going to a restaurant and blow the money instead on either a three bone prime rib or a porterhouse. Prime rib will cost about $15 per pound. Porterhouse will sell for about $20 per pound. The difference between choice and prime however is unbelievable and is definitely worth it for an occasional treat.
we have what I have heard from my Richer friends, is a good butcher shop nearby.I haven't been brave enough to go in yet.That would nice to do for New Years.
I have never had dry aged beef although I have read it si something really special. I guess I am afraid I will spend all this money on some and then not like the flavor.
LA... I normally buy choice, bone on rib roasts. When I cook it in my Smokette using Stuart's method it comes out so tender, moist and flavorful that I don't spend the extra for Prime any more. I use bone-on because I think it makes the meat taste better. It may be just me, however Smiler

The local Jewel Grocery Store (owned by Albertson's) had Choice rib roast on sale once in a while for $4.99/lb and I just buy two or three and vac seal them (it can be a stretch to get them in the vac bag!) and freeze them.

OK... Now you have me thinking about Prime Rib! I think I'll take one out to cook on Christmas eve!
I was at Costco over the weekend--they had both Choice and Prime grades of both bone-in and boneless rib roasts. Choice and Prime grades were the same cost, as were bone-in and boneless. Price per pound depended on the size, but it went for $5.99 to $8.99 per pound.

I'm doing one Christmas Eve, though I'll probably grill it with wood added to the coals.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.