Skip to main content

Well as we know, most people don't really do prime, prime rib, they buy boneless or boneon ribeye.

Not for the Okies this year.

So, got a treat for the family. Out shopping and the local market had PRIME rib on sale reg. $18.99 and up, for this weekend $8.99.

Bought a full, cryovac, 15lb'er.

Don't really need to age PR, but I've got this in my fridge now for Christmas.

Will post photos and report this year
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Wheelz:
Smokin -- Please be as detailed as possible. This is an expensive cut & I have been very hesitant to purchase.

Thanks!!!

Just follow my Prime Rib 101, it's just how I will do this. As it's over $150 for the whole piece, I may do it in two sections (since I have family coming two separate weekends)
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfan:
The local Brookshire's Flagship store here had Prime, Prime Rib on sale for $9.99/lb yesterday. Bought full one, cryovac, 14.05#!! Can't wait for Xmas!!!

Since you're doing prime rib, can I have your turducken? Big Grin I can do one up here, but it's not as good as the one's from your neck of the woods.
Todd:
Not a big fan of turducken, the best one I ever had came from a little town off the beaten path about 70 miles from Baton Rouge.

Smokin:
You will be coming through Shreveport if you are driving, stop by anytime! Be careful in N. O. over New Years. Commanders Palace is re-opened after a $8.5 million dollar rebuild!!
quote:
Originally posted by tigerfan:
... Be careful in N. O. over New Years. Commanders Palace is re-opened after a $8.5 million dollar rebuild!!
Don't know Commanders Palace, haven't been back to N.O. in a while. We're in a hotel in the Quarter, but in the more quiet section so we can walk and drink. There's a list of the top five places to celebrate New Years and we've hit two, this will make three; just something we fell into for New Years. Now to make it BBQ related.... is there any good food in New Orleans... LOL
quote:
Originally posted by Stu's Q BBQ:
Hey Russ, what store? Is the sale still going?

Stu

Crest. You know they carry prime don't you? I buy prime steaks there often. I went in there Sunday and didn't even know they had a sale and the meat guy knows me so he cut a deal deal.

I buy prime all the time.

AND it's from the same place I get my comp brisket so I know the meat is great stuff.
To be honest, I don't think ANYBODY around here in small town Minnesota sells Prime cuts or Prime Rib. As Smokin says...everything is the boneless or boneon ribeye. Closest I can think of would be 75 miles away and I'd be willing to bet it'd be near the $20.00 a pound mark.
Just for giggles I think I'm gonna call and see.

The boneless choice rib roast here in town usually goes for about $8.75 - $9.75 a pound. One of the grocery stores here (and they have a very good meat manager and quality meats) is advertising Choice Angus boneless Rib roast for $5.88 per pound. I'm planning on getting a 13 - 15 pound slab for Christmas.

That said...if it's cryovacced (sp?) is it okay to get it now with Christmas 10 days away or so?? I don't want to freeze it before making.
One bad part about getting a cryovaced roast is that you or even the meat manager can't see what your paying for. So it's a gamble. But it is a Choice cut...
quote:
Originally posted by Woody512:
That said...if it's cryovacced (sp?) is it okay to get it now with Christmas 10 days away or so?? I don't want to freeze it before making.
One bad part about getting a cryovaced roast is that you or even the meat manager can't see what your paying for. So it's a gamble. But it is a Choice cut...

The keys are 1)Kill date, you really need to know when it was done. The butcher would know if he has the original box it was in, but without it, you're still probably safe.

2) Fridge temp. If this is a fridge that people are in and out of all the time, those aren't the best for aging. It really needs to stay cold, like 37 or below.

You're likely safe doing it, keep it in the original package and when you take it out, it will smell briefly (all that liquid) but rinse it off and it shouldn't smell like anything but meat.

Do a search on Wet Aging if you have more questions, there's a lot of discussions. Doing it in the original Cryovac isn't hard, if you know the conditions.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.