Skip to main content

I used Stuarts method today and the Rib Roast turned out ok, nice and rare although I need to work on my times a bit with my FEC as figuring out the right shelf and I may have to tweek the temps a bit.
But, it was so tough I could have used it for beef jerky. I was really disappointed. Guess thats what I get for buying a cheap(er) rib roast even though it was choice.
Next time I'm going to go to a butcher I know as compared to where I got this one.
Note - go to a quality cut of rib roast, I learned the hard way.

Briggsy
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
I do mine all the time with Choice, after all, "technically" you don't have to have a PRIME grade to have a Prime Rib.

How was the temp, what did you finish at?

Did you let it rest?

I thought with having the FEC my temps may have been a little low. The FEC read 140-150 degrees for the 4 hours. My meat thermometer when I pulled it off the smoker read 126-128. I foiled and let it sit for about 15 minutes. It was too pink for my wife so next time I may have to take it up a little more.
But I really think it had to more to do with the actual meat. I'd previously had steaks cut off it and they were tough. And like I said with this roast, it was tough.
I'll blame this one on the meat first and on my first trial run.
At least it wasn't a $9.00 or $10.00 per lb of meat.

Briggsy
How do you like yours done?

My theory is to go for the lowest temp possible, I shoot for 125.

If someone wants it more done, try this. Cut it and let it sit on the plate a few minutes. When the oxygen hits it, it will loose color fast.

OR you can throw it on a skillet and finish it just a little bit on each side.

People who like them other than pink shouldn't eat meat.
quote:
Originally posted by Briggsy:

But I really think it had to more to do with the actual meat. I'd previously had steaks cut off it and they were tough. And like I said with this roast, it was tough.

You're probably spot on. A USDA Choice rib should have at least a moderate amount of marbling which translates to tender eating. Seems like you just ended up with a rogue piece of beef. Your comment about buying from a butcher next time is a good idea...a well selected Choice roast should make for terrific eating.
I did two 7 bone prime ribs a couple of weeks ago and they came out tender and delicious, not bad for $4.00 a pound. I cut the rib bones down almost all the way through, left a small hinge at the bottom. Packed it with about 10 cloves of garlic and rosemary branches and a modified montreal seasoning, then tied it back up and placed it on the top shelf. Cut each prime rib in half cooked to 125F internal set the FE at 275F. Also had the cooker filled with 10 spatchcocked chicken and a tray of nuts, it's all good.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.