Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SM066 owner here. As far as I know there is no way to program temperature steps. You can set a temperature for a time, and have the smoker drop to 140F holding at that time, but not for further steps. I don't think the controller has been upgraded to that point, but I might be wrong. Alternatively, you can cook to a probe internal temperature and have the same drop to holding at that IT. What made you believe this was possible with the SM066?

Last edited by jay1924

Thanks for the reply. While waiting for my smoker to arrive, I remember looking at some videos on operating it. I could swear I watched a video on how to program steps, but can't remember where I saw it and of course didn't bookmark the link. Without being able to raise temps in steps it makes the smoker somewhat unsuited for making many types of sausages. I will try and contact support later today and see if I can find out more. Thanks again.

Talked to tech support. There is no way at present to program multiple steps. Seems kind of silly for a smoker at what they cost. I'll just have to manually adjust time and temp steps when I do sausage. Another issue I discussed is my first smoke was a rack of baby backs. Set the temp at 225 for 5 1/2 hours. After time had expired, I pulled them out and was disappointed to find they weren't cooked all the way through. In fact the thicker parts were still raw in the center. I did a temp check after with the smoker set at 180 and the meat probe hanging in the cabinet.  The probe hit 200 which is it's limit. Not sure why these didn't cook properly. If anyone else has had similar issues let me know.

When I do my loin backs (dry rub only, no basting or sauce), I do 225F and I allow 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours depending on how thick the meat portion is (the "light meat" on the thick end of the rack). I flip and rotate the racks about halfway in, and wait till the small ends of the bones are exposed about 1/2 inch, then test for doneness using the toothpick test. I don't rely on a probe for such thin meat. If necessary, the ribs can sit foiled in a 200F oven for an hour or so without losing quality, IMO.

Your new smoker needs a seasoning time before it will perform to its ability. Most do a medium (maybe 4 - 5 lb) pork butt at 225 for a long smoke to build up the "patina" on the walls and ceiling of the smoker. Don't forget to line the top of the wood box and the bottom of the smoker with foil before each smoke to aid cleanup (and don't forget to punch a hole in the bottom foil over the drain hole).

I think with a little experience with your new smoker you will be very happy. From experience though, sausage will be a challenge in the SM066, if for no other reason than it is so air tight that you may need to open the door occasionally  to vent moisture to get the correct amount of drying on the sausage casings. Just takes some time to figure it out.

Thanks, oldsarge. Doing Ok, looking forward to almost a regular summer of BBQ and backyard parties. I'll be getting the smoker out more regularly once the daily high winds and rain/snow and freezing nights are over! Got a bunch of stuff I want to do: Double smoked ham (for Easter), beef cheeks (for the hell of it), and pork belly (because pork belly). How about you? Big summer BBQ plans?

Doing fine here Jay. Being empty nesters, just Mama and me. So the Q is pretty moderate. Get old and the doctors tell you to start cutting back of smoked and grilled food (red meat of any type). Pretty depressing. But a prayer of thanks and eating in moderation seems to be a good solution to meddlesome doctoral interference. I see a butt in my future as well as a brisket, some back ribs, and steaks.

@jay1924 posted:

When I do my loin backs (dry rub only, no basting or sauce), I do 225F and I allow 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours depending on how thick the meat portion is (the "light meat" on the thick end of the rack). I flip and rotate the racks about halfway in, and wait till the small ends of the bones are exposed about 1/2 inch, then test for doneness using the toothpick test. I don't rely on a probe for such thin meat. If necessary, the ribs can sit foiled in a 200F oven for an hour or so without losing quality, IMO.

Your new smoker needs a seasoning time before it will perform to its ability. Most do a medium (maybe 4 - 5 lb) pork butt at 225 for a long smoke to build up the "patina" on the walls and ceiling of the smoker. Don't forget to line the top of the wood box and the bottom of the smoker with foil before each smoke to aid cleanup (and don't forget to punch a hole in the bottom foil over the drain hole).

I think with a little experience with your new smoker you will be very happy. From experience though, sausage will be a challenge in the SM066, if for no other reason than it is so air tight that you may need to open the door occasionally  to vent moisture to get the correct amount of drying on the sausage casings. Just takes some time to figure it out.

I did do an initial season smoke of 6 hours at 275 before doing the ribs for 5+ hours. Even the thinner parts were just barely cooked through. I'll play with the temps some more on my next smoke.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.