Skip to main content

I've been trying to come up with a way to mount my FEC-100 in my trailer so I could still smoke while raining and all that good stuff. Here is what I came up with....

I went to the local Menards to start picking up supplies. I started with this "wall thimble" to use as my roof flange.

A quick picture of what I was expecting things to look like mounted through the roof of the trailer.

I picked up all my supplies and headed home. My first task was to find a way to mount the smoker to keep in from moving. I took a 3 ft. section of square tubing and mounted it to the wall. Then I took a piece of angle and mounted it to the legs/frame of the smoker. This would allow me to roll the smoker back and connect the two.

Nice thing about this setup is there are only two bolts that I need to remove if I ever want to take the smoker out. This setup along with 4 locked wheels and the smoker is SOLID. Does not budge at all!

After getting the best idea on where to cut the hole in the ceiling, I proceeded. I ran the pipe up through the roof flange or "wall thimble." I was happy how things looked, so I put some RTV high temp silicone around the pipe where it met the roof flange. Put some putty tape under the flange, and screwed it down. Last step was to put on some self leveling silicon sealer that I picked up at a local RV store. Here is what the end results looked like.

Gave it a test run.... works perfect.

Now, for the smoke the comes into the trailer when I open the door, and for air ventilation in general, I installed this fan right above the smoker. It works PERFECT.

I mounted a rain cover on the roof over the vent which will allow me to keep the vent open at all times, even during rain and snow.

I plan to install another rain cover over my other roof vent (no fan in that one) so I can have a constant flow of air at all times.

Here are some photos of the actual installed product

The last thing I did was install an electrical cable door latch so I can run electricity in the trailer while I have the door shut.

For those that my be wondering, yes the pipe is warm to the touch. The roof around the pipe is cool to the touch. It gets hotter from the sun shining down on it than what it actually does from the smoker.

It poured down rain the other day. Trailer was dry as a bone on the inside!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by rustbucket:
your set up looks great. My FEC100 is also on my trailer but I have trouble with my firepot ... keeps goin out! Looks like you have a special cap on your chimney ... is it designed to help with wind? Where did you get it?

Yep... wind and rain. Got it at Menards for like $6.
quote:
Originally posted by Bandit1127:
I really like your set up, Ive got a trailer just like yours and have been debating getting the fec100. I was wondering however, with the vent and with the exhaust pipe, could you cook with all the doors completely shut and still be safe?

Almost every time I cooked I would have all the doors shut. I would lock the trailer at night with it cooking. I never had any issues, I always had both vents open and the exhaust fan running. I installed a carbon monoxide detector right next to the smoker and it never once went off.
If you run with the doors closed and the exhaust fan running, you want to make sure and have a vent or window open.

If you don't... the exhaust fan will create a somewhat negative pressure in the trailer... and pull heat through the hopper and could ignite the pellets in the auger/hopper.

As long as there is an airflow into the trailer... the exhaust fan can run.
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
If you run with the doors closed and the exhaust fan running, you want to make sure and have a vent or window open.

If you don't... the exhaust fan will create a somewhat negative pressure in the trailer... and pull heat through the hopper and could ignite the pellets in the auger/hopper.

Trust Nordy on this one! I plead the 5th on any other questions regarding this statement that Nordy was a witness to! Wink

I have heard that the end result of such a mishap can wind up with two top 20 finishes in Pork and Brisket at the Royal Invitational....

Now I plead........
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:

What if you put a floor drain in the trailer? Would that be significant enough for a vent to create the correct air flow for the exhaust?
He may be tied up for a bit... but if you message David Qualls he may be able to give you some info on venting/ducting FEs in a trailer. He has a pretty good design/setup with 2 FECs that he uses at contests in a trailer. They are each ducted to an upper side vent on the trailer.

His FEs are removable from the trailer as well...
quote:
I picked up all my supplies and headed home. My first task was to find a way to mount the smoker to keep in from moving. I took a 3 ft. section of square tubing and mounted it to the wall. Then I took a piece of angle and mounted it to the legs/frame of the smoker. This would allow me to roll the smoker back and connect the two.

How exactly did you mount the square tubing to the wall/studs?
I've been trying to figure out how you secured it. The only way I have thought about it was to run a carriage bolt through from the exterior wall, through the stud, into the interior wall and the square tube.

Just thought I'd ask, if you've got any more pics, that'd help me a lot!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.