Skip to main content

I am considering the purchase of a PG500. I have 2 questions that I hope that you can answer. First, can a turkey be cooked on the indirect side (zone 4 I think) on this cooker without hanging out into the direct zone? The second, How likely would the grill body be to rust if it was squirted 4 or 5 times a week by a pool cleaner that contains salt water? ( I have a Polaris that can be hyperactive and it climbs the walls of my pool and does tend to squirt salt water outside the pool.) I thought that I saw that the PG500 was made out of 430 SS.

Thanks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

There are different grades of stainless and 304 is noncorrosive. That's why its used in kitchens. My stainless steel grill gets rain on occasion, and it looks like the day I bought it...8 years ago. Your Cookshack will not rust under normal conditions where moisture and water gets to it.

I checked out some sources cause of your salt water situation, and from what I read, the salt water is not kind to stainless steel. Here's an article that would be on interest to you. Google "does salt water corrode stainless steel". You'll see more information.
Last edited by pags
quote:
Originally posted by Cerveza:
How likely would the grill body be to rust if it was squirted 4 or 5 times a week by a pool cleaner that contains salt water? ( I have a Polaris that can be hyperactive and it climbs the walls of my pool and does tend to squirt salt water outside the pool.) I thought that I saw that the PG500 was made out of 430 SS
Thanks

Cerveza,
Check out polarispool.com and look @ the TailSweep PRO. For less than $20 you can retrofit your Polaris to stop shooting water out of the pool. The other big thing to prevent rust is keeping the SS clean and protected with an oil based product like Sprayway SS Cleaner and Polish available at HomeDepot, Northern Tool, Sams Club etc.. It's about $3/can.
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody as I ended up getting the PG500. Everything has been great other than me being careless and burning my finger on the door. I currently have a been cooking a brisket and beans. One thing for sure is that grill sure smokes a lot more than my old Traeger. The multi-zone cooking is really a great feature and has worked great with the brisket and beans.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.