Skip to main content

Hello, I would like some help. When ever I cook a butt ( in a Cookshack ) The next day coming out of the fridge or later out of the reefer, it is dry? Very dry. I do not use a mop, just put some dry rub on it.
A second question. I vac pack the butts. There seams to be alot of grease inside the bag. Do you all clean and reuse the bag?
Any reply would help.
Thanks.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Toothpick, I almost never mop or baste a butt, still, they come out moist and tender even for reheats.

That makes me believe that you're overcooking or reheating at too high a temperature.

To what internal temperature do you cook the butt? I normally stop cooking at 190* to 200* or when the bone turns easily. I pull, foil, and let rest for at least 1/2 hour.

To pack, I usually add a slight amount of water and rub then vac-pack, though Teddy Bear recommends adding a bit of Piedmont sauce, which sounds very good.

I usually place an unopened vac-pack of pulled pork in a pan of boiling water and heat until I can see the innermost part of the vac-pack boiling. If the center isn't hot enough, when you open the vac-pack, you can always place the pork back in the vacuum bag and boil a bit longer.

Keep an eye on the internal temperature of your butt, check for doneness by twisting the bone, and remove from the cooker when the bone turns easily in the meat.

Good luck!
To agree with Richard C,I always add some vinegar sauce- as I am pulling and a little in the bag when I vac pac.You can always clothespin the top and freeze about an hour and then vacpac.This will keep it from pulling liquid into the machine.

Smokin' has a sauce that many here find works well.It is a combo mop/pullin'/table sauce.

I sometimes turn the used bags inside out and run through the dishwasher.
Richard and Tom, Thanks for your help. Now that I thought about it alittle more, I usually eat the pork kind of cold as left over's. That would make it dry. Duh! I have been looking at Smokin's mop and serving sauce. Will give it a try next time, But heat the left-overs up... Smiler
Thanks
Toothpick:
Here's a recipe for Smokin's Baste/Sauce. It's VERY good. Try injecting your pork butt with it next time, and let sit overnight.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce

(makes about 5 cups)
[list]

4 cups apple juice
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoon dry mustard
4 tablespoon brown sugar
3 bay leaf
6 cloves of garlic
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne (I sometimes use Hungarian Paprika)
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (the secret ingredient)
Heat all of the ingredients in a nonreactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min.
Toothpick,

The guys have given you great advice. Sometimes it's the simple things, like reheating.

I think it's actually pretty difficult to smoke something so it comes out good on a reheat. If you smoke it normal, you'll probably have to "add" moisture. But now always.

Go with the advice, let us know if it works.

And thanks for the comments on the Butt Sauce/Mop/... I get compliments, but think of it as a good based and don't worry about adding more heat/spices.

Smokin'

Best to never open the smoker before the butt is 195 internal meat temp. No need to open and check the bone. The bone will turn and pull out clean. When the butt is done at 195 or higher, take it out of the smoker immediately, wrap twice in HD foil, wrap in at least 2 towels, place in a cooler that is just large enough, and fill any empty space with more towels. Leave it for at least an hour. Take it out, let rest at least 15 minutes in the open room temp, then pull. I think you will have great results like this. 
I never trim fat off a butt before smoking. If there is skin attached, I take it off. I always 'sweat' the butt with copious amounts of rub and wrap in saran tightly and leave in fridge 24 hours before smoking. I usually add more rub and sometimes inject before smoking. If there is too much fat, I remove it as it is being pulled. 
I hope this helps somebody ! 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.