Skip to main content

I bought a three bone and a two bone. They're in the smoker right now. Stupidly, I didn't think of the fact they would be cooking at different rates (never cooked two things concurrently that were different sizes like this. It flat out never occurred to me they would cook so differently.)

They've been in for an hour forty five at 225 degrees right now. Looking for 115 degrees then will open the door and drop to 140 degrees until they're at 122 -125 when I'll pull, foil, rest and 500 degree crust.

The two bone would be from my GF, who likes it really rare. The three bone is for myself and our two guests coming tonight.

We did a one four bone a year ago and pulled at 118 but it only rose to 119 degrees before crusting. It was too rare even for her.

So, WHICH one of the two do I go off of? Right now, one is 103 and the other is only 82.

I guess I'm going to have to pull the one that gets to 115 first. Then maybe put it back in the smoker later?

What should I do?
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pull the one that reaches your desired temperature first. Then watch the remaining one and pull when it's at temp. Each is its own animal. Double heavy duty foil, beach towel and cooler the one that's done first. It'll stay hot to the touch for a couple hours.

Once it's pulled from the cooker, the meat temp won't rise as much for meat slow cooked in a smoker as compared to meat cooked at higher oven temperatures. You may want to smoke the PB to a little higher temperature. Enjoy.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Pull the one that reaches your desired temperature first. Then watch the remaining one and pull when it's at temp. Each is its own animal. Double heavy duty foil, beach towel and cooler the one that's done first. It'll stay hot to the touch for a couple hours.

Once it's pulled from the cooker, the meat temp won't rise as much for meat slow cooked in a smoker as compared to meat cooked at higher oven temperatures. You may want to smoke the PB to a little higher temperature. Enjoy.

That's what I did. They're in the cooler double wrapped with towels.

The temp came up so fast after it got to 112 that I really had no choice except to pull them. It was 112 and 15 minutes or so later it was 125. So no slow roasting for me.

Perhaps I should have done the 225 (turns out I goofed and had it on 250 instead. Damn....) for only an hour and then opened/turned it down to 140.

Dunno. Wish is wasn't $90 worth of meat I was experimenting with!

Perhaps the temps haven't come up in the cooler (like the last time I did it) so it'll be holding in the mid 120s so when I do the 500 degree crusting it'll come up nicely to the low/mid 130s.

Here's hoping.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
So, how'd they come out?

It. was. awesome. Cooked WAY faster than it was supposed to. I was expecting five hours or so based on what I've been reading here of the 225/250 until 115 then open the door to 140. They finished in 2.5 hours! Pulled em both, double foiled and put them in the cooler.

Guests arrived. Martinis, salad and wine were consumed. At this point, they had been in the cooler for almost 3 hours. Checked the temp of one and it was still 122 degrees.

Put the roasts in the 500 degree oven for 15 minutes to crust them, crossed my fingers and they turned out a PERFECT rare-medium rare. Phew....! Forgot to take pics of the roasts after we cut into them though.

When the kitchen looks like this the next morning, you've got to assume dinner was great.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • kitchenaftermath

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.