Skip to main content

Hello everybody. I'm new here and kind of new to smoking. I have a question I'm hoping somebody can help me with. I am smoking two pork shoulders (Boston Butts) for a party tomorrow. I have a small electric cookshack smoker. One of these butts is 7.5lbs and the other is 5.6lbs. I plan on smoking them together. My question is will it take 12 or so hours as if I was smoking one 12lbs butt or can I estimate the amount of time it would take for the weight of each individually? I've read that in general you estimate about an hour and a half per pound at 225 degrees. I appreciate any help!

Thanks!!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The one and a half to two hours per lb. is based on the weight of each butt separately. So the 5.6 lb. will take from 8.4 to 11.2 hours to cook at 230*. The 7.5 lb. one will take from 11.25 to 15 hours to cook. And these times are not cumulative. In other words, cooking both of the butts together. the 5.6 should finish first and the 7.5 should finish next.

Please keep in mind that these times are only approximations. In the immortal words of SmokinOkie, "it's done when it's done."
Last edited by ribdog
I just finished an 8lb butt tonight and it took 21hrs. Put in at 9 last night at 200 for 12 hrs, then 225 for 7 hrs and 250 for 2 hrs to get it to 195 then foiled it in a cooler for an hour. It turned out great!!!!! Next time I'll go for 225 overnight and hope to cut the time down a little. Oh yea, outside temps were between 10-30 degrees.
If I read it once I've read it a hundred times on this forum, "It's done when it's done". Just glad I started it last night and was in no hurry tonight for dinner.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.