Skip to main content

Yesterday, I smoked a ham in my CS 025 (Smokette Elite) using both the CS meat probe and Maverick ET-733 to compare readings. When probes were inserted the ham internal temp was registering about 37 on both probes. Oven temp was set at 250. Much to my surprise, although the Maverick was showing a continual and smooth rise for internal meat temp, the CS probe was not, and when the CS meat temp display finally started rising, it maintained a displayed temp on the control panel about 40-50 degrees below what the Maverick was showing. After the smoke, I tested both CS and Maverick probes with ambient air in garage and both were reading the same so I don't think my one week old CS probe is damaged. The CS manual states that the meat probe will not register temp until the internal meat temp is 38 or higher. It appears that the CS meat probe reading throughout the entire smoke was giving a false reading because the smoke started with the meat internal temp below what the probe can read and never recovered to a normal reading even though the internal meat temp rose substantially higher than 38 degrees. Has anyone experienced this?

Edited to add: About a week ago I smoked two whole chickens in the SM025 with the chicken internal temps above 38 degrees at start. The meat probe temp readouts on control panel appeared normal and what I'd expect.

Edited again to add: As mentioned in a different forum, I probably had the CS probe close to the ham bone, therefore giving a lower reading. Did a water test comparing CS probe reading with Maverick and they were reading within a few degrees of each other.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I haven't noticed a large variation between the probe on my SM045 and my Maverick. There is usually a small variation, but that's most likely due to the different locations in the meat or meats. I have noticed that the built in probe doesn't seem to update as fast, but it's only mere seconds differential (I've placed the probes within inches of each other). I trust the built in probe and only use my Maverick in the Cookshack if I do multiple meats or need to take advantage of the remote capability of the Maverick.
If you notice anything unusual like that again, call Customer Service. They're great to work with and very helpful
I size up my probe along the side of the meat eyeballing the thickest section, either straight or angled and use my thumb to mark the probe where the tip reaches the center. I then insert the probe into the meat up to my thumb. Not scientific but it works for me. On rare occasions, I will use a thermapen when the meat is done to check the IT and there may be a difference of 1 or 2 degrees. All is good.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.