Skip to main content

Did another rabbit yesterday. 4 pounder. Thawed it out the day before in a sink full of cold salt water. Made brine with half cup of kosher salt, half cup of dark brown sugar, quarter cup of olive oil, 1 TBLS. each of ground cloves, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, ground savory, poultry seasoning, and a half gallon of cold water. Put thawed rabbit in large mixing bowl, poured brine over it, cellophaned the top, and left in fridge for approx. 20 hours. Took out of brine and rinsed well under cold running water. Patted dry with paper towels. Sprinkled generously with Cajun Cowboy. Put 1 stick of red oak and 1 stick of muscadine in woodbox and turned smokette on 250 until smoking well. Put rabbit on middle rack, belly side down with legs spread wide. Turned down to 225 and smoked 3.5 hours. Best rabbit I ever had, and I'm a real country boy. Daddy-in-law said the same thang. Razzer
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Howdy GLH

Being an ol' Ky hillbilly,we are used to plenty of small rabbit farmers.

I see you are brine soaking,which is what I do with wild rabbit, and then brining.

Don't doubt that a good brinin' will help most things,but I just cook those domestic rabbits like chicken quarters and they are still mighty fine eatin'.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.