Skip to main content

Years ago and a couple of computers ago I had a Cookshack link for a company that rebuilt chamber vacuums. They were not all that expensive. I've done a Google and found a few but.. not what I saw here.

Anyone remember that discussion? I'm hoping to find one for my son and not get up into the higher atmosphere on price.

Cheers, Bill
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Vacmaster actually makes both types of vacuum sealers. The low end models are suction sealers similar to Foodsavers. You need the special bags/rolls that are textured on one side in order for the unit to be able to suck the air out of the bag.

Chamber units, like VacMaster's higher end models like the VP210 use cheaper, smooth bags without the texture side. The air in the entire chamber is evacuated, then the bag is sealed. Since the entire chamber is in a vacuum rather than sucking the air out of the bag, you can actually vacuum seal soups and liquids in a chamber unit.
Thanks for the clarification Andy. I wasn't aware of the chamber vacuum process. Looks impressive, and expensive. Systems like foodsaver do offer container versions that (sort of) allow a liquid to be vacuum sealed, but not very well. I wonder how a chamber vacuum system could work if you only had a smaller amount of liquid to seal (soup or stew), as opposed to a marinade or sous vide. I have successfully used my foodsaver by freezing the soup or stew first and then sealing. Thanks.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.