Skip to main content

I must say that CookShack has not followed through! Although the recipe contest was changed in format this year, the last quarterly contest nor last years grand prize were honored! I did not enter the last quarterly contest but am a firm believer that if advertised, it should be completed! I did win one of last years quarterly contests and was told that the yearly winner would be announced a few months ago??

The cookshack equipment is great and the customer service even better, but keep in your word and announce the winners!

Thanks and have a great Holiday Weekend and remember those who serve and served the beautiful USA!

Scott... Confused
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, you are absolutely right and I have egg all over my face. I apologize! We did choose a winner from last year, after Scott Daniels reminded me! We were late doing it and did not make a big announcement. The $500 prize was shared by Kelly Daniels for Savory Smoked Mozzarella and Tomato Cheesecake and Deanna Kruebbe for Mesquite Smoked Pears Delight. (Recipes follow.)

Deanna has received her check for $250, but we have been unable to contact Kelly. We have emailed and left phone messages several times but have had no reply. Kelly or Scott, if you read this, we have a check for $250 for you!

Mr. and Mrs. Smokin' have taken over the contests, and they have a rotating panel of judges who will assist them. The most recent contest ends May 31 so you still have time to enter. Smokin' is much more efficient than I am, and he will get the job done in a more timely manner, so I hope everyone who has been considering entering will do so. The theme is Family Favorites and first prize is a Smokette Model SM008.

Savory Smoked Mozzarella and Tomato Cheesecake

� lb. seasoned Italian herbed croutons (homemade or purchased), ground fine in food processor
� lb. melted salted butter
1 � lbs. smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 � lbs. cream cheese
2 lbs. smoked diced tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 lb. smoked sweet onion, small dice
3 oz. cornstarch
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. cracked black pepper
� cup fresh basil, minced
� cup fresh chives, minced
5 each whole eggs
3 each egg yolks

Yield: One 12� or four 4� individual cakes.

Combine the finely ground croutons and the melted butter. Divide the crouton mixture between the spring form pans and press evenly over the bottom and sides of the pans. Set aside and continue.

Mix the cream cheese, mozzarella, salt, pepper, and cornstarch in a mixer and mix until completely smooth. Add the whole eggs and egg yolks and mix until incorporated. Add the tomatoes, onions, basil, and chives. Fold in lightly.

Divide the mixture between the crouton crust lined spring form pans. Bake at 350F until set, approximately 3 hours for 12� and 50 - 60 minutes for 4� pan. Cool before removing from spring form pan. Refrigerate until served.

Serve at room temperature as an appetizer with tomato coulis or fresh pesto.

Mesquite Smoked Pears Delight
category: Desserts
Ingredients: (4) Ripe D'Anjou Pears (Red or Green) (8) Tbls Hershey's Chocolate Shell (8) Tbls chopped nuts (8) Tsps Boysen Berry Syrup (8) Dollops Whipped Cream
Method: This makes a great dessert and is very convenient to make if you're already smoking meat for a meal. Peel, half lengthwise, and core the pears. Place in the smoker cut side down and smoke for 20 minutes at 200-225 degrees. If doing alone, only takes about 2 oz of mesquite wood. Remove and let cool. Place each half cut side down on either a small serving bowl or saucer. Slowly spoon a tablespoon of the Hershey's Chocolate Shell on each half. Place in refrigerator for an hour or until ready to serve. When ready, spoon a teaspoon of the Boysen Berry syrup (can substitute Raspberry) on each half, followed by a tablespoon of your favorite chopped nuts. I used native pecans, lightly browned in a little butter, then chopped. A dollop of whipped cream tops the superb dessert. Enjoy!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.