Skip to main content

Well, its a little early for the recap, midnight here in Oregon. How did everyone's smoking for the Holidays come out?? Let's hear the reports. I with no modesty have again held my place of "high esteem" with what I cooked so far, racks of pork. Prime rib for Christmas day so we will see?? Merry Christmas, and the best for 2011 to all, and thanks for all the great communication and sharing here.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

We did a 50day Smokin' Wet Aged Prime Rib. Sorry, no photos (Imagine being a LITTLE busy for the Holidays, they wouldn't let me take photos... DAD, let's eat, not take pictures).

100% said it was the best ever. That was great because my son helped the whole thing.

Basic PR101 Prime Rib with one exception. I don't know if it was the 50 day aging or the added step. Yup, we ran a new test on a $150, 21lb PR. We "salted" the prime rib. 24 hours before the cook we coated it moderately well with kosher salt. Not covered white like snow, just a good solid sprinkling. Then the day of the smoke we washed off the outside of the PR, the coated with Worcestershiershier sauce and Montreal Seasoning. Smoked for 5 hours at 180, finished at 300 for crust for about 30 min. Oh, we cut it in two. At one last night, eating one today, that one, I'll take photos of.

I will try the salt experiment again.

Russ

p.s. Santa brought me all of my kids and grandkids in the house for Christmas the first time EVER that the schedules worked out. Better than BBQ and golf for sure.
Did a 13lb turkey for Xmas. I used Smokin's Holiday brine for 48hrs and smoked at 275*. The one thing I did different this time then from previous times was raised my racks to the bottom notch on my 020 smoker. Learned my lesson on this, the top notches are for smoking turkey, but to each his own.

Saving the Prime Rib to try out on Ma this week, she is coming up from Branson,Mo for a week.
Christmas Eve spareribs with DennyMike's "Sublime Swine" rub (made in Maine), smoked with hickory and cherry, and glazed with Fast Eddie's glaze. Man were they good!

First time I have used a commercial rub. It was a gift. It was really, really good, and really, really expensive.

Christmas day was a shrimp boil, with french bread and a green salad. Dat's right, we done got shrimps he-ah in Maine (bet you though all we had was lobster and blueberries). It is shrimp season in Maine and we love a good shrimp boil once in a while.

Got a blizzard coming in tomorrow and you know I just gotta load up the Cookshack and smoke something in the blizzard just because I can Cool
Smoked two Packers Briskets/10.5 and 8.5 @180 for six hours and three hours@ 230 and then foil them for two hours. Put them in chest to rest for two hours. The best I've done since I owned my FEC100. Cooked on the top two racks. CS Pellets did the job. Happy New Year to all. Lenny
first time. AQ arrived thur afternoon and tried to season it thur nite. the AQ worked for about 30 and just quit, was late and cold, so i stopped till fri. checked fri morning and found one of the plugs was loose to the control. seasoned and after that smoked a ham. everything went great, can't wait to try something else. MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL
quote:
first time. AQ arrived thur afternoon and tried to season it thur nite. the AQ worked for about 30 and just quit, was late and cold, so i stopped till fri. checked fri morning and found one of the plugs was loose to the control. seasoned and after that smoked a ham. everything went great, can't wait to try something else. MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL

Donny

Donny, You’ve had a rocky start with your AQ. I hope all the kinks have been worked out and you are able to settle into a trouble free era of fine smoking like the multitude of AQ owners before you
chef, something else I have had happen is getting the moisture like alot of the others have complained about. once i made sure the connection was good, i noticed that the slot for both plugs is a good bit oversized. i got some high temp silcone and silconed the plugs in place and sealed the excess opening. have not had any moisture since.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.