Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's what I was thinkin. Never underestimate the power of the Pags!! All kiddin aside I do think (was it Smokin?) got his box like the next day, and sent out another one right after that.

I took a look back at the Feb exchange to see what my new recipient recived last time. Holy Smokes!! I'm lookin at this picture of what he got last time and this wimp little pile of stuff I've got gathered up and thinkin maybe I should send him patio furniture, outdoor kitchen something!!

There were some very nice boxes last time. I got one myself. I think I will see if I can round a little something more. (Kegarator?)

Hope everyone has fun with this. I know I will!!

Thanks Padrefan for your time and trouble to put this together.
quote:
Originally posted by cal:
quote:
Originally posted by S&H:
I was thinkin Pags shipped out the day before!! :-)

Yeah, I'm thinking it may have been a West Coast conspiracy....LOL!

It's good to be the Sauce/Rub exchange moderator. I wouldn't buy into the conspiracy theory though. I haven't even sampled Pags almonds yet, though I have used his recipe. Wink
Oh darn S & H, now I gotta search thru that Feb. exchange post and figure out if my recipient was in the last one!!!

By the way, IF anyone is sending me a T-Shirt, please make it and XXL. I shrink things.

BTW, we try to stick to sweet rubs and sauces, but there are always exceptions to the rule, last time I got Apple Jalapeno Rib Candy, WOW, that stuff is awesome, but I have yet to put it on meat, I use it on toast and bagels Big Grin
Steve u r too kind. I have been trying all sorts of hi-mtn combos and adding spice here and there, it all comes out edible. I think it is the smoking technique more than anything. Yes I am sending jerky this time as well and I believe I promised to send you more as well. If I cant find your address somewhere Ill pm u.
quote:
Originally posted by S & H:
AndyJ hope you get to feelin better. Holly knows when I hit the NyQuil it's bad.

Actually, just got off the phone with my hillbilly sister in law. Just down a ways south of you in Benton. Don't know why I didn't know about this "cure" earlier? Tea, lemon, honey and Jack! I'm loving this stuff!!!
quote:
Originally posted by Padrefan98:
I think I am all caught up on the shirt size requests. Please let me know if I missed anybody.

I know I have no room to talk cause I am a 2xl and shrinking, but there must be some relationship to our shirt sizes and cookshack. Nobody has said they are a medium or small. Hahah. Big Grin
Everone knows the old sayin don't trust a skinny cook, sounds like this bunch is very trustworthy. I'm an XL today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.
Well I just mailed my box today. Not sure if the person receiving it would want to know that it is scheduled to be delivered next Wednesday or not?

So all I will say is someone in OK check your front door this Wednesday, or somewhere around your front yard, in case the U tube videos of packages being thrown over fences and out the truck windows are real, if they are any where on your street is probably fair game.
Well, looks like a few got there box's out, I had to make a new batch of my sauce, finished that this morning, did some shopping yesterday, now the damn box I saved is tooo small, I need to do some scrounging at work tomorrow to get a bigger box, or someone might be getting two box's, that might not be a bad thing, more to open. Smiler
Thank Goodness for the LARGE flat rate box, headed out west, should arrive by the weekend. I hope it all makes it intact, that sucker was bulging a little, taped every square inch of box. Big Grin
PM me when you get the box, I forgot to put my note in it and I'll be damned I was opening that thing back up. I have some directions for the homemade rub you should know. Smiler
AndyJ,

The bag marked “Allergen” is from a local company that caters to the commercial market, but will sell to the home user. According to Waltons Inc. label this seasoning contains hydrolyzed soy protein, which is considered an allergen.

I must not have a soy allergy as I have used a lot of this mix with no ill effects other than those attributable to the accompanying Margaritas.
Bd- The hot sauce is incredible. We tried it with our meal last night. We had some smoked hamburgers and it kicked it up several notches on the taste. We also tried the OMG BBQ sauce with our french fries. Killer stuff! The relish was good. I tried that with a spoon. I am trying to decide what to do with that. Maybe a potato salad??? I tried both rubs on a cucumber because I couldnt wait to use them. The Fin and Feather is OUTSTANDING. The lime taste and rosemary are excellent compliments to the spice in the rub. Loved everything I have tried. My kids were excited about the hot sauce. They can't eat anything without some heat. So I stock up on Louisianna sauce and Tapatio. They said the Boom Boom was really good. "Can we get more?" they said! Ha! Looking them up no on the internet. Cheers!
Padrefan and anyone else interested,

Here is a little more background on the Salvy items I sent you, plus info on their other items. Salvy Sousa is a new, small Kansas company making some really good sauces. BTW, I have no financial interest in the company, just some good friends that I would like to see succeed with their new passion.

A new brand, Salvy Sousa, is taking on the Midwest. Salvy Sousa was developed by Hankerings LLC in 2011, a company owned by Rob and Janet Carroll of Arkansas City, Kansas. Long-time entrepreneurs in the commercial coatings industry, the Carroll’s took on their bucket list head on by pursuing their long time passion for food.

Hankerings wanted to create a brand that gave a throwback to old school nostalgia. For them, it was a simple concoction. Rob’s grandfather, an Italian butcher from New York and a lover of great cuisine, was named Salvy. And Sousa was the maiden name of Rob’s ornery Portuguese grandmother which was an extraordinary cook in her own right. The name was mixed and the little fella, Salvy Sousa, was born. But Salvy Sousa is anything but little; he’s a man that is ready to take on the food industry and introduce people to his new line of sauces, marinades and concoctions that will be enjoyed passionately from the preparation to the presentation of the meal. They are sure to bring together, “Food, Friends & Fire.” Salvy Sousa’s product line features premium all-natural products which use the finest ingredients and are proudly produced in Kansas.

Salvy Sousa Riff Raff Mushroom Marinade is a concoction of savory blend of sauces and red wine and other secretive family ingredients. Riff Raff has been meticulously crafted as a one of a kind marinade that is truly maintenance for the soul. It can be used to marinate mushrooms, onions, and other vegetables. It is a perfect marinade for both pork and chicken. Using Salvy Sousa Riff Raff Mushroom Marinade will make you a champion!

Salvy Sousa OMG BBQ Sauce is just that –One Mighty Gnarly BBQ Sauce! It is a full bodied premium sauce with bold, sweet and smoky flavors. You will love it! Use it everywhere, for meats, sandwiches, as a dip and for fries!

Salvy Sousa Shakem’ Up Steak Sauce is a premium blend for marinating your choice cuts of steak. Fine ingredients will encourage your steak to only be the best. A properly prepared steak should not need sauce in the plate. Using Shakem’ Up before will give you a great finish to your steaks!

Salvy Sousa Sweet N’ Sassy Jalapeno Relish is a perfect blend of sweet and heat to top off burgers, brats and hot dogs. It is a great blend for dips and a perfect addition for guacamole.

Soon to be released:

Salvy Sousa Rev It Up Ketchup with Boost – This ain’t your kids ketchup. Full flavored, full bodied and all natural ingredients make this concoction something you will reach for time and time again!

Salvy Sousa Boom Boom Hot Sauce – Put it in everything, Put it on everything, Put it over everything. People can’t get enough of the robust flavor that goes BOOM BOOM!
Hey BD in KS, I looked them up and found their website salvysousa.com.

Nice looking stuff. I am tempted to order the Salvy Sousa Sixer. I am gonna wait until the sauce exchange is over and I use up some of my stuff. I did bookmark the site. So they will be getting my business sooner or later Smiler Thanks for the info. That jalapeno relish looks good.

Padrefan - Another great use would be for a small brie cheese wheel, either on top or split thru the middle like a cake and put the relish in the middle, wrap in puff pastry and bake until golden on a cookie sheet. This type of appy always disappears anywhere I bring it. I usually use a habanero jelly, but look forward to trying this one day. Also try the cream cheese with the relish on a toasted bagel instead of a cracker, I bet that would be good!
quote:
Originally posted by David Qualls:
I received a Big Box of Nice Things! I will post some pics very soon.

Thanks Cook One!

I've been gone all last week (Talladega) and came home to some things that required my immediate attention. However I ordered the first of my stuff to head straight up the midwest. Hope it's not too Cheezy there.....hint...hint...

David, I hope you enjoy the box, if you were in Talladega, you were about 40 miles away, you could have picked it up, and been the first to get your box. I hope you like the selection. let me know what you like and don't like, it will help in the next swap.
The weatherman has rain in forecast for the weekend so when I got home I went out to the shop and started up the mower. Takes 2 1/2 hours to cut. Walk up to the house and I've got a box settin at the door! It's from Que'n RN. Very Kool!! I'll have to send somkin a picture so I can post it. Until then trust me, I recived a very nice collection of Rubs, Sauce, almonds, even a new apron. Thanks Que'n. Nice job!!
Well, this is a funny story...

My box has been in my house Since Thursday. Since my husband is away in Japan, my daughter said you cant touch that box because I told Daddy about something to order for Moms day and I think that's it.

Box went on dining room table until today when I remembered to ask hubby about it when he called. He said no, I didn't order anything (OUCH)!

What a surprise I had when I opened it. WHO NEEDS MORE FOR MOMS DAY, IAM VERY HAPPY NOW! THANKS RICH!!!!!!!

At first I really thought it was a candle by the way it was so professionally packed, and the box did say Bitter Creek Candle Co.

There really was a candle in there, all the way on the bottom. That was the first thing I opened, I lit it right away, my house now smells like fresh baked bread, YUM!

There is a big bunch of stuff to go thru, so I need to take more time later today to taste and read labels.

5 bottles of sauce, Smoked Celtic sea salt (smells like heaven) and a bunch of rubs, and can't forget the Habanero Death Dust (I am very afraid!).

PIC to follow later today!

Thank you very much Rich H, you have out done yourself I am sure. My house really does smell so good right now. I can't wait to go on line and look up your day job!!! Also, did Penzys change their comapny name? I used to always order from them, but it has been a while.

Vicki
Enjoy!
I read you don't like really spicy stuff but sent the Death Dust anyway because I think you will still like it, it really has a great flavor, normally when I use it I start with a very light coating of it and then add my normal rub(s).
I have used Penzy's and The Spice House and prefer The Spice House, plus they are one day shipping from me and have 5 retail stores in the Wisconsin Chicago area.

Glad you are enjoying the candle there was a little room in the box so I had to fill it Smiler
Rich, you are awesome! The death dust is hot, but very tasty as you said. I asked about Penzy's because it mentions the death of their founder in the front cover and his name is Penzy.

I had to take ribs out of the freezer just before so I could try one of the rubs/sauces for dinner...

Also, I looked thru your companies web page and can't find a link to see the finished pdts, like the candle you sent me, for sale. Since the one you sent me smells so good, I am sure everything else I order will too!

Pics will be posted later today! Oh, yes we like sweet best, but you always need something to add spice, even after the fact. Its my youngest who wont eat it if its spicy. Thank you for taking that into consideration. Also, it is so funny, dont know if you realized this, but...The company which some of the pdts came from is called Oak Ridge. That is the town I live in Big Grin
Boy, you weren't kidding when you said the post office would be sorry for coming up with "If it fits, it ships" I think even if you reopened the box to put in the information, then everything might not fit.

The only casualty was the Mississippi BBQ sauce-it leaked just a little around the top, but nothing serious.

Can't wait to try EVERYTHING! The Mississippi BBQ sauce tasts great. Looking forward to using the maple sugar. The maple syrup is fantastic with the brine for bacon and I like to add it in with my breakfast sausage mix. Mrs. Que'n has her eye on several of the rubs for using other than just with smoking.

Your homemade rub- WOW -obviously garlic and black pepper- what else? Good on...? Absolutely delicious.

The fajita mixes look like they may be good on some jerky, too.

I just can't thank you enough for your selections. They won't last too long around here.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • my_package_edited-1
Wow is all I can say about the box I received from Joe M yesterday!!!! Really good lookin stuff I can't wait to try. Smoked almonds and pecans that my wife wanted to open right away and I said we need pics first. Some Chimichuri condiment that will be great on steaks or bread dip, Korean BBQ marinade for flank steak, matouks hot sauce/salsa. These obviously are hard to come by and very cool sauces.
4 rubs that include a poultry rub from World Grill, Jamaican Jerk rub that I can't wait to use on a PB and chicken, Fast Eddy's BBQ rub that I haved used but am out of and love it, and last but not least is a homemade rub that Joe made for me. I always love to try homemade rubs!
I also received some incredible Benne Wafers. They are so very good that they sure wont last long if I don't hide them, especially when my grand daughters show up.
I will get pics later today after I get caught up in the garden and yard. Thanks Joe so very much for all the thought you put into the package and I am certainly looking forward to trying everything!!!
Well, where do I start, the Mississippi BBQ sauce is my personal sauce, I just used that bottle to package it in. My daughter works at Chicken Shack and she said it had to go in the box, it actually is not too bad for a chain sauce.
The E&L fajita steak and chicken seasoning is addicting. I use that stuff on everything non BBQ. I had to let it run out so I would use some of my other spices that was stacking up.
My wife loves the maple sugar on her ribs with some honey tin foiled for a spell(Cal says it's too sweet but what the heck does he know Smiler. Now Michigan isn't a big BBQ state but there are a couple of Michigan made sauces I sent, and while I was at the big market in Detroit I saw the home made jam and figured what the heck and sent those along also. I wanted to grab some Garlic jelly that a fellow makes downriver but he wasn't at the show, it is truly delicious.
My rub is without sugar, so you want to cut it 1 to 1 with your favorite sugar before you rub it on. Seems to stay better without the sugar added.
The maple syrup is home made by a gent in Clair Mi, (about 4 hours from My place) but he is always at the market. He makes multiple grades, your bottle is a grade C (Heavy-dark)deep flavor.
The MO-JO is supposed to be a Cuban rub, that with all the others are new ones I ran across and haven't tried. Enjoy!
quote:
Originally posted by Vicki B:
I asked about Penzy's because it mentions the death of their founder in the front cover and his name is Penzy.

Also, I looked thru your companies web page and can't find a link to see the finished pdts, like the candle you sent me, for sale. Since the one you sent me smells so good, I am sure everything else I order will too!

Also, it is so funny, dont know if you realized this, but...The company which some of the pdts came from is called Oak Ridge. That is the town I live in Big Grin

I didn't even notice that on the cover, I ordered a catalog for myself also.

We do not make any finished products, we sell the supplies to make them. We do have to test products and that is how your candle came to be.

I confess, I didn't notice, I did pack the box but the shipping department took care of the rest. I buy most of my rubs from Oak Ridge BBQ and I haven't been disappointed yet. Their Secret Weapon is my go to for pork and chicken.
Thanks Rich. I have ribs in the smoker right now and 1/2 rack has TSH's Northern Style rub on it and a full rack has the Northern Style mixed with the Bronzeville Rib Rub (has more spice). I am gonna be serving the apple cinnamon sauce with them, everything I have tasted so far is so delicious.

YOU MEAN I HAVE TO START MAKING MY OWN CANDLES TOO! Big Grin
Just a note to let the group know that my box won't be in the mail until Tuesday morning. Bless my wife's heart, she was helping pack up my box on Saturday because I was out of town, and unfortunately one of the sauce jars met the floor and shattered everywhere. I'm running to pick up another jar today and will pack everything up and get it sent out on Tuesday. Sorry for the delay folks!
quote:

Thanks Cook One!

I've been gone all last week (Talladega) and came home to some things that required my immediate attention. However I ordered the first of my stuff to head straight up the midwest. Hope it's not too Cheezy there.....hint...hint...

I came home from work and found a very nice package sitting on my front porch. Thank you David Qualls for all the goodies, they will be put to good use very soon!

quote:
Originally posted by RichH:
quote:

Thanks Cook One!

I came home from work and found a very nice package sitting on my front porch. Thank you David Qualls for all the goodies, they will be put to good use very soon!

If I remember correctly this is just part of your package. Smiler Nice Score from Butchers!!!
Wow! What a score from Vicki! Six sauces, a rub and some homemade beef jerkey!

Let's see, got three Hoboken Eddie's sauces. Mean Green, which is a roasted Jalapeno & lime juice. Hukilau Hannah, a Teriyaki & Ginger sauce and Homemade BBQ. Then we got two Funni Bonz Sauces, Sweet & Tangy Mustard sauce and Spicy sauce. And I get to be a guinea pig for this one, Old Schoolhouse BBQ Sause. I guess Vicki hasn't tried that one yet. And finally a signature pork rub made by a local meat market, Sussex Market.

Can't wait to try some of these sauces.

Thanks again Vicki!

I apologize for the dealy in posting my pictures.

Cook One really put out a spread for me.

A fine assortment of Rubs, Sauce, Marinade, A T-Shirt that Fits! and a beautiful Wooden Rib Serving Board!

Here are some close up pics of the items

This Rib Serving Board is a beautiful piece of wood made of Maple with Walnut Strips inserted to accent the craftmanship of this presentation piece. I plan to use this for demonstrations as well as just plain ole serving straight off of the smoker nights here at the house!

Thanks Again! This was so much fun. I still have a second goodie Pack to send out to my receipeint, RichH. Please bear with me.

I always send out a pack from Butchers BBQ not only because David (Butcher) is a forum member and Cookshack user, but his Products are proven winners, His Business is just about 20 miles up the road from me, and most importantly, He is a genuine nice person. He is always free to lend advice when asked during comps and epitomizes the true spirit of a friendly competitor in the BBQ Industry.
Andy - I truly hope you are not just being kind. I would love it if you had any criticisms and told me, that is the only way I will be able to better the jerky! I am always trying new seasoning combos, I like this one. But there are lots of other ways to improve as well.

David Qualls - I second that on the David compliments. He was so sweet (just like his yummy BBQ Sauce) when I spoke to him on the phone. Everything I have used from him has been great!
Looking over all the goodies people are getting, a lot that I have never heard of please try to comment on your thoughts of all the sauces you've received. That way we can maybe try to get a few different items without having to buy a grocery store worth goodies to try. I know different people like different taste but it would be a start.
Maybe it's just us rust belt people don't have the full exposure to all these rubs and sauces. Smiler
quote:
I apologize for the dealy in posting my pictures.

Cook One really put out a spread for me.

A fine assortment of Rubs, Sauce, Marinade, A T-Shirt that Fits! and a beautiful Wooden Rib Serving Board!

Here are some close up pics of the items

This Rib Serving Board is a beautiful piece of wood made of Maple with Walnut Strips inserted to accent the craftmanship of this presentation piece. I plan to use this for demonstrations as well as just plain ole serving straight off of the smoker nights here at the house!

Thanks Again! This was so much fun. I still have a second goodie Pack to send out to my receipeint, RichH. Please bear with me.

I always send out a pack from Butchers BBQ not only because David (Butcher) is a forum member and Cookshack user, but his Products are proven winners, His Business is just about 20 miles up the road from me, and most importantly, He is a genuine nice person. He is always free to lend advice when asked during comps and epitomizes the true spirit of a friendly competitor in the BBQ Industry.

David, I hope you enjoy the flavors, always nice when the shirt fits. We eat a lot of dinners straight from the grill to the Rib boards. Just adds something a little different. Hope you enjoy.
quote:
Originally posted by bubbasz1:
Looking over all the goodies people are getting, a lot that I have never heard of please try to comment on your thoughts of all the sauces you've received. That way we can maybe try to get a few different items without having to buy a grocery store worth goodies to try. I know different people like different taste but it would be a start.
Maybe it's just us rust belt people don't have the full exposure to all these rubs and sauces. Smiler

I agree, if there is a website on something you like share that as well as the comments.
quote:
Andy - I truly hope you are not just being kind. I would love it if you had any criticisms and told me, that is the only way I will be able to better the jerky! I am always trying new seasoning combos, I like this one. But there are lots of other ways to improve as well.
Great flavor to it. Personally, I prefer jerky that is spicy, but this was very good for a non-spicy version. Maybe the only criticism would be that it was a little too dry. But I'd eat it again, as a matter of fact, I've got one last piece that I'm munching on now. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by AndyJ:
Rib Boards. What a great idea, never thought to make those. How wide are the strips? Looks to be maybe 3/4" x 3/4"? That would make them about 6 3/4" by 14" maybe?

Andy the boards are 9 1/4" wide 20" long and about 3/4 " thick. They are Maple with either Walnut or Cherry inserts. You can find them at www.perfectbitebbq.com. I have to say that my daughter in law has an interest in the company for what that's worth. We use these when we cook out as opposed to plates, you can serve anything on them, and as I mentioned they add something different, and look great with a slab of ribs on them
Thanks Andy for the honest criticism. I generally go not-to-spicy because of my youngest. The rest of us like spicy. I appreciate the info on the dryness. I was a little surprised. Everyone is a little different on how they like it. I hear things like, I like it real chewy so I cut it with the grain, vs. what we prefer is easy to chew cut against the grain. Based on your review of the dryness, I am gonna make another batch soon and cook it less, maybe by 1/2 hour or so. It is always a tad dry when it comes out of the oven, then is wonderful the following days. If you can think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again!!!! It's all gone now, isn't it Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Cook One:
Andy the boards are 9 1/4" wide 20" long and about 3/4 " thick. They are Maple with either Walnut or Cherry inserts. You can find them at www.perfectbitebbq.com. I have to say that my daughter in law has an interest in the company for what that's worth. We use these when we cook out as opposed to plates, you can serve anything on them, and as I mentioned they add something different, and look great with a slab of ribs on them
I do woodworking as a hobby, might just glue up a batch of those.
I just received my package. The package is from Lawrence C., whom I surmise is NY Smoke. Correct me if I'm wrong. What a great assortment of items I received, all will be put to quick use in the next few weeks. Lawrence, I'm especially anxious to try your homemade pork rub, it smells wonderful. I will report back, I'm sure it will all be great. Thank you so much!

BD - Yup, that's me! I was in such a hurry to get your package out that I forgot to include my forum id. I really enjoyed getting everything together for you, it was my pleasure. Yes Vicki, I noted that we both sent Hoboken Eddie's - not that much local stuff available from the area where we live. Looking forward to the next exchange for sure!
quote:
Here is a pic of all the goodies sent in by box by RichH. I have already used to of the rubs on ribs last week and now have turkey wings marinating in the Amish Honey Mustard marinade mix. Cant wait to take those out tomorrow night and smoke then finish on the grill and brush on some golden sauce.

YUM!

You got a nice looking box, expect mine to be on my doorstep tomorrow, can't wait for a look see.
Well 2nd Hand you out did yourself. I received your box today, and it is great. I am sending Smokin some pictures to post. What a great diverse selection. Someone has quite the talent with the Alabama wreath, very impressive. The only disappointment is the homemade preserves were DOA. Looks like this box was thrown over the fence by Mr. Brown. They looked so good I was tempted to pick the glass out and try them any way (did I mention I live in Alabama?)but sadly I let them go. Otherwise you out did yourself, the shirt is great and it fits,thanks again, this sure is fun. You did a great job very nice box. Thanks. I'll let you know later what my favorites are.
quote:
quote:
The only disappointment is the homemade preserves were DOA. Looks like this box was thrown over the fence by Mr. Brown.

That sucks!

Yep but 2nd hand was so generous, there are many more items that will be great to try. Win some lose some. This box is still a winner
quote:
[You got a nice looking box, expect mine to be on my doorstep tomorrow, can't wait for a look see.

OOPS, maybe you won't get your box today (Thursday) Frowner. Tracked and from OKC to Hutchins, TX (wrong way!) Confused then to Bedford Park, IL. Scheduled for delivery on Friday. It will include something to calm your frustration! Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
Just opened a great box from California, and am munching on some smoked almonds. Will post pics tomorrow, and try to deduce the sender. Can't wait to test this stuff out!

HMMM... only one participant from California?...
smoked almonds...Sherlock Holms thinks it may be Pags?
quote:
Originally posted by iSmoke:
quote:
[You got a nice looking box, expect mine to be on my doorstep tomorrow, can't wait for a look see.

OOPS, maybe you won't get your box today (Thursday) Frowner. Tracked and from OKC to Hutchins, TX (wrong way!) Confused then to Bedford Park, IL. Scheduled for delivery on Friday. It will include something to calm your frustration! Big Grin

Those dang Brown truck drivers, what's he doing going the wrong way, Oh well, looks like I'll have a Friday box to start off the weekend with.
quote:
Originally posted by Que'n RN:
quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
Just opened a great box from California, and am munching on some smoked almonds. Will post pics tomorrow, and try to deduce the sender. Can't wait to test this stuff out!

HMMM... only one participant from California?...
smoked almonds...Sherlock Holms thinks it may be Pags?

It's funny that you mention pags...who in fact is not participating. However his almonds are participating. His recipe, but I made them. Big Grin
My thanks to Padrefan for setting up the exchange, and also for the great swag he sent me. Two Pappy's rubs, two hot sauces, 2 BBQ sauces, one hot wing sauce, mustard, and smoked almonds. So far, sampled all of the BBQ sauces and mustard. The mustard is wonderful. Want to try it with some deer summer sausage. The Carlsbad sauce tastes more vinegar based and the Geno's sauce is more soy sauce based. Both good, and unique from each other. The Pappys Prime Rib rub definitely tastes like it would go well with beef, or even on a steak. And the Pappys Seasoning seems more general, like it could go with anything. The Sweet Red Devil Sauce seems like it would make great hot wings. Haven't tried the Ring of Fire or Hot Licks yet...but I will. The almonds are addictive and I am told come from Pags recipe. I will search for it on the forum. Thanks Padre, this will keep me going for awhile!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Copy_of_IMG_5619
Just had some grilled shrimp for dinner, marinated in some Hoboken Eddies Mean Green sauce with an extra splash of tequila (Just because). Turned out great, just a hint of heat and lime. Thumbs up!

That's the great thing about this exchange. You get stuff you might not have ever bought yourself. Personally, I would never have thought to buy a sauce like this if I had seen it on a shelf. But I got it, tried it, and it's actually very good. Now I might actually look for something similar on a store shelf.
Well, a big thanks to S&H (Steve and Holly) for the crazy amount of stuff that they were able to jam into the box that arrived at my house on Wednesday (just picked up today though because I wasn't home Wednesday so had to reroute to a FedEx store). I'm still working my way through it, but in the meantime, see below for a photo. Many thanks to them for the thought and time they put into this. I hope to spend Saturday experimenting with some of the goods.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • May_BBQ_Exchange
quote:
Originally posted by SteveChris10sen:
Well, a big thanks to S&H (Steve and Holly) for the crazy amount of stuff that they were able to jam into the box that arrived at my house on Wednesday (just picked up today though because I wasn't home Wednesday so had to reroute to a FedEx store). I'm still working my way through it, but in the meantime, see below for a photo. Many thanks to them for the thought and time they put into this. I hope to spend Saturday experimenting with some of the goods.

Steve, We're glad you got your box, Really happy you like what was in
It. Sorry no lawn furniture this time. Lol

S&H
Great exchange! You guys all did really well. I think we have 1, maybe 2 more boxes to go. I have the sheet at work and I will verify when I get there. This was a lot of fun. I am glad you guys made it as easy as it has been. Enjoy your "swag" the next few weeks, and don't forget to take pictures.

I am inviting the family over Sunday for pulled pork dinner. All of my sauces from the echange will be out and I will be taking notice of which were everyones favorites. It's been 8 weeks on this diet. I am -25 pds and counting! I have been still able to enjoy the great smoked foods my cookshack puts out. What I have figured out is, it isn't the meat that does it to us...it's those damn sides and breads!!! Oh and the Beer! Cheers everyone!
Padrefan, thanks again for doing this, great organization as usual! Congrats n the 25lbs. Its a hard thing to do.

Smoked the turkey wings mentioned above. They came out really nice. 300* to about 180-185. Very good flavor from the Amish marinade mixed with more mustard, honey, orange juice concentrate, vinegar and salt. Thanks again Rich, nice product.
Received from Cal Monday. Three rubs, two sauces, pork injection koozies and apron. All I've had time to do was stick my finger in everything to taste! Looking forward to using the Blues Hog and Plowboy's Yardbird Rub (maybe on same meat!). I have seen references to both of these often on this and other forums. I've never used an injection before but will "trust my butcher" on this one.

Thanks for the great selection Cal! Razzer
Last edited by ismoke
What a wonderful way to end a crappy Friday, I was so mad when I left work no doubt my BP was cranked up and I walked in the house and a smile fell over my face. I had to go out to the garage and borrow the wife's dog grooming table instead of cleaning the kitchen table. Thanks so much, can't wait for the beer to get cold, and everything made it safe and sound. The Butchers injection leaked a little but not enough to matter. The almonds are fantastic.So many new things to try, looks like the 025 should be happy for the next couple of weeks.
Thanks again iSmoke and I would worry more about My dogs than my neighbors, there bigger. Smiler
quote:
Thanks for the great selection Cal!

Your welcome, but dang after seeing the fine box you sent Bubba, I feel like I short changed you...Sorry for that, maybe if you get up towards KC, we can all get together and I'll make it right?

That Gates sauce is what I use to think all sauces should be compared too. It should go great with beef/burnt ends!

Heat that Blues Hog up in your smoker before using it as a glaze, heck you might cut it a little with some AJ if you want a glaze instead of saucing your ribs.
quote:
quote:
Thanks for the great selection Cal!

Your welcome, but dang after seeing the fine box you sent Bubba, I feel like I short changed you...Sorry for that, maybe if you get up towards KC, we can all get together and I'll make it right?

That Gates sauce is what I use to think all sauces should be compared too. It should go great with beef/burnt ends!

Heat that Blues Hog up in your smoker before using it as a glaze, heck you might cut it a little with some AJ if you want a glaze instead of saucing your ribs.

Cal,
When you coming to Michigan to compete, I want to try some of the Cal Trio, Beef, Chicken, and Pork. Smiler
Hey Bubba!, Sounds like a plan, I'll even feed the family.

WOOHOO!!!....I just received a fine box from SteveChris10sen, THANKS so much.

There were some rubs from Spice House...Bronzeville Rib Rub,Brisket of Love BBQ Rub, Gary Wiviott's BBQ Seasoning. 2 bottles of Kitty's sauce, some sauce and rub from Smoque. A generous sampling of smoked almonds. Thanks again Steve.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Hey Cook One.

I sent you the links, but I haven't seen the photos, so hope you don't mind me posting them.

Thank you so much for doing this Smokin, I have been so busy I have not been able to figure out the posting. This is a great box sent by 2nd Hand. Everything looks like it is going to be fun to try. Some of it I have never seen before, which I think is maybe the best part of the exchange. As I posted before the homemade preserves were DOA, Mr. Brown was tough on the box.

Any way great stuff. Cal it was not as hard to post the "Tide plaque" as it was for a Corn Husker to make it. As we say in the South it's either Alabama or Auburn. For me War Eagle, for my wife not so much, we are a house divided, so this fits in fine. Thanks again 2nd Hand.
Cook I took a wild guess on the Bama wreath. My guess stemmed from the bag of chips you sent me last exchange. You mentioned that they were made popular by Bear Bryant???? My wife makes those and sells them and can make any type of theme desired. They seem to be very popular. Maybe I should have her make one for your wife so all of Alabama is represented?? My wife has so many talents and certainly puts me to shame!
quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Hand Smoke:
Cook I took a wild guess on the Bama wreath. My guess stemmed from the bag of chips you sent me last exchange. You mentioned that they were made popular by Bear Bryant???? My wife makes those and sells them and can make any type of theme desired. They seem to be very popular. Maybe I should have her make one for your wife so all of Alabama is represented?? My wife has so many talents and certainly puts me to shame!

She did a great job. Like I mentioned we are a house divided do it fits right in. Irregardless of Bear Bryant being associated with Golden Flake chips, they are the best chips in the south. Thanks again
In the 80's today, good day to make some que. New Joy-zee Que!

3lb rack of St. Louis cut ribs, used the Sussex Market rub from Vicki.

Into the smoker at 280 for just over 3 hrs, a little Old Schoolhouse Sause for the finish. Was rather surprised the cook time was so short. But the toothpick doesn't lie.

Good stuff!

Thanks Vicki!
Thanks Ismoke, good to know its that tasty. I have a pork shoulder in the smoker right now for an overnighter with some Oakridge pork rub, passed the.out of the package taste test with high marks. I am gonna try their web site tomorrow. I got one of TSHs catalogs alo.g with my rubs, havent read thru it yet.

Andy, that rack of ribs is real nice. I am glad you enjoyed the sauce and rub. I purchased the rub for myself and have not gotten to use it yet.
Ismoke,
The beer was fantastic, the wife would like me to have the recipe for the sweet and spicy almonds, there gone, Frowner, I'm going to see if I can buy the pickles online, me and my daughter have just about taken care of those. I can't wait to tryout the some of the other goodies, currently working on a three day smoke for the holiday weekend next week.
I actually picked us some spices yesterday for the next exchange. This was great. Smiler
Okay, I've got a complaint Padre.

All those GREAT photos and everyone isn't telling us what's in them. Some secret rubs, homestuff.

Lots of good looking items.

Next time? Maybe have everyone list the items (or the sends send a list with them). Photos help, but some don't have labels and I can't tell from the photos what some of the stuff is.

... feeling left out this exchange Frowner
quote:
Smokin, are u trying to live vicariously thru us???

Yes, I don't have enough BBQ in my life right now. Now I get my new pork rub and new beef rub delivered from the Co-Packer tonight for the restaurant. So have to do testing and THEN maybe I can get it bottled for sale in the restaurant. And then we'll do sauce. Have four of them. Sweet, Smoky, Hot and Too Hot to ask.

But I don't want to threadjack.

Yes, I'm feeling leftout Padre, but now you know why I didn't sign up.

You did an AWESOME job of setting this up, thanks again!!!!!!
quote:
So Smokin, does.that mean some samll samples could be headed our way one day???

Hmm, now why didn't I think about that Big Grin

I'm thinking ONLY those people that join in the next exchange might get something, but since I'm paying for the shipping, I can't ship free to the whole forum.
quote:
quote:

I'm thinking ONLY those people that join in the next exchange might get something, but since I'm paying for the shipping, I can't ship free to the whole forum.

What?
Cook,

Not trying to be confusing, you just to follow the sub threads within the overall thread Big Grin

Vicky asked about free samples of my new rubs and sauces. I'm not going to offer it for free, so I'm thinking more of a reward for people who DO participate in the forum, such as this exchange.

Let's leave it at that, not to threadjack and we'll discuss it in the fall. I just got my first 25lb box for testing of my rubs, they are not available for sale yet.
quote:
Smokin, are u trying to live vicariously thru us???

I'd bet that Smokin is not the only mamber that has been "living vicariously" Wink

From the pictures I've seen, there isn't a box I wouldn't have been glad to get! I also enjoy the feedback as it helps me decide what I'll buy online and what to include in my next box Roll Eyes
quote:
quote:
quote:

What?

My What? was all that got out before a computer issue. What I was going to say is What? count me in on your stuff even if I pay shipping.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.