Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
The idea is to use the indirect zone on the right (Zone 3) and get some smoke and bring the temp of the steak up to almost your desired temp. Say 100°

Then move to Zone 1 direct and finish to your desired temp.

I'd say 90% of what I grill gets the two zone cook.

Zone 3 or Zone 4?
I've always used 4.
quote:
Originally posted by Joe M:

Zone 3 or Zone 4?
I've always used 4.

Actual the forum has been using an old set of names. there zones are over here but Cookshack is going to update the page with #'s not just names.

http://www.pelletcooker.com/grilling-tips-tricks/

Stuart provided me this list for a major project I'm working on.
Zone 1 is the direct side.
Zone 2 is the full upper shelf.
Zone 3 is the right indirect side.
Zone 4 is the warming drawer/cold smoking drawer.
Last edited by Former Member
I reverse sear on my 500. I love thick NY steaks in zone 3 at 200 degrees until Internal of 115. I remove steaks and heat up to 400 degrees. Then 2 min. per side in zone 1. Rest for 15 min. Perfect steak for me.

After trying this method, try eating a quality restaurant steak. You will never go back to the restaurant for steak again. I have been happily ruined for life.
Regardless of how things have are now defined... there are 4 (or 5) distinct cooking zones...

1) Direct Grill
2) Upper shelf above the grill Still direct
3) Right upper indirect shelf
4) Right lower indirect area
5) Warming drawer... not really a "cooking zone"

So why would I make the argument to separate areas of the upper shelf... because they are two very different temp zones. If you place anything on the left side of the upper shelf it will cook very differently from the right side. So... regardless of the "cookshack definition" it would be a huge mistake to call the whole upper shelf the "same"....

And FWIW - I reverse sear by starting in Zone 4 (Right Lower Indirect) and move to Zone 1.

Also... historically this has been a "4 Zone" cooking unit and for several years didn't include the warming drawer. So... To change it now would not only be confusing for long time users, but also silly... as aside from cold smoking (not really cooking) the warming drawer isn't a "cooking zone" anyway...

And that's all I'll say about that... maybe..

Nordy
quote:
Originally posted by Nordy:
historically this has been a "4 Zone" cooking unit and for several years didn't include the warming drawer. So... To change it now would not only be confusing for long time users, but also silly... as aside from cold smoking (not really cooking) the warming drawer isn't a "cooking zone" anyway...

And that's all I'll say about that... maybe..

Nordy

Agreed! However, it's probably going to be more confusing to beginners than MOST long time users! Wink
quote:
Regardless of how things have are now defined... there are 4 (or 5) distinct cooking zones...

Nordy

From what I remember, we named them that here in the forum, not CS, so I guess we created our own confusion. I too was like you, but if you do a temp mapping the difference between the upper left and upper right zone 2 isn't that much, even over the flames (they don't reach that high).

I knew this would come up once I posted them, but I'm just going by the owners/manufacturers of the grill. FYI, CS has defined the zones that are as described above, not me and I was confused as well when I saw what we talked about here and what they called the 4 zones, that's why I asked for clarification and they defined them.

While you may not use Zone 4, it's there for many to use (and it's not something on any other grill, so it can be something good for marketing). Many time to go smoke some cheese.

Shoot, I don't use Zone two, like ever myself.

CS defined these zones, head over to http://www.pelletcooker.com/grilling-tips-tricks/ for the details.

I'm just the messenger, you know where they are Nordy, drive down there and give him your 2 cents. LOL Big Grin
Well.. I cant find my spreadsheet from when I mapped it, but there is a significant difference in Zone 2 and 3... (left and right on the upper shelf) upwards of 25-50 degrees if I remember correctly. Can't prove it because I can't find the stupid spreadsheet, and certainly don't care enough to go re-do the test! I use the warming drawer for holding... and have used it for cold smoking... Just not sure that's really "cooking" Smiler semantics I know.

Bottom line... who cares... anytime you mention a Zone on any of the message boards that is guaranteed to generate a followup "remind me of the zones again" post... I say just call em where they are, lower left, lower right etc.

It's still a great pit and I've never regretted this purchase!

Happy smokin' & grillin'
Nordy
quote:
..anytime you mention a Zone on any of the message boards that is guaranteed to generate a followup "remind me of the zones again" post... I say just call em where they are, lower left, lower right etc.

Nordy

Kinda makes my point. People have been making up what the zones are, then calling them zones and the people that made it didn't define the zones (or some people may have posted zones but then changed them).

It's all so confusing.

Me, All I care about are two zones. Direct vs. Indirect because not everyone has a CS Grill Big Grin

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.