Skip to main content

Hi boys 'n' girls! About a year or so ago I posted my experiences with cooking a rib roast in my CS smoker. I have a new and I think VASTLY improved receipe to share.

I started with (2) 10 lb rib roast cut off the bone and tied back on for cooking. I let them rise to nearly room temperature before giving them a liberal rub of fresh ground Tellicherry peppercorns and kosher salt. I preheated my CS to 225 without wood since we weren't lookin' for a smoky flavor this time. At the same time I cranked up the gas oven in my range to maximum, 600?F (you MAY need to use a grill for that temp). I do this an hour before cooking just so they are properly heat soaked.

I put the roasts on a rack in a large pan and put it in the oven for 15 minutes with the convection on to give an incredible sear. I then removed the meat and put them both near the top of the CS. I installed a remote thermometer in one roast and cooked until the temp read 115?F (about 2 hours) I then decreaced the temperature to 140 until the internal temperature reached 125?F (about 1 hour) It was then time to do a LONG rest for the meat so I lowered the temperature to 125 and the internal temp of the meat continued to rise to 140?F over time. I "rested" the meat at 125 indicated on the CS for 3 hours.

This made for the MOST tender and jucy rib roast I've ever had by a large margin and I have had some REALLY good ones!

I'm already planning for doing a whole fillet of beef with a similar method.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Stuart,

Add this to the recipe, I did this with my PR this year.

Of course, I didn't need the oven method, since I had the new FE/CS to finish it off Big Grin

Take the ribs after cooking, trim the good meat off. Toss them in a pan with a couple of cups of beef stock. Bring to a high simmer. Then give the ribs time to melt away into the stock. After I pulled the ribs out, I added a cup of good red wine.

Made a wonderful Au Jus for the Prime rib.
>I'm curious. If you did not use any wood could you have not cooked the roasts in your gas oven?

Yes, but temperature control is MUCH easier on the CS. Also, cooling my gas oven down after the 600?F sear is difficult as it takes a LONG time even with the door open. There aren't too many ovens that will allow you to "hold" the meat at such a low temperature as 125 and 140.

This recipe will work jsut as well with wood as without but we have been doing a LOT of smoked salmon lately and my wife wanted this roast without smoke. Next time I'll do it with some wood now that everything else is just the way we want it.

S.
>Of course, I didn't need the oven method, since I had the new FE/CS to finish it off

I'm not familiar with the "FE/CS" but I wouldn't want to sear the meat after, if that is what you're referring to. I completely cooked and finished it in the CS, it only had 15 min in the oven and that could have easily been the grill. For searing large cuts of meat I just like my commercial oven a bit better than the grill.

>Take the ribs after cooking, trim the good meat off. . . . Made a wonderful Au Jus for the Prime rib

VERY good idea but you must understand that most people want au jus because the meat is kinda dry. The meat we had last night was INCREDIBLY moist and even my 3 and 5 year old girls were stuffing it in their faces at an alarming rate. That initial sear at 600?F seals in all the juices, I doubt you would feel the need for au jus.

Now if I could only keep the bones away from the dogs . . .

S.
Since you're not familiar with the FE/CS, you know that new smoker you sent me Big Grin

I agree with the Au Jus concept, mine was very moist, but some people just like the stuff and it was something to do with the bones (if you don't eat them).

I seared after, not before to allow the smoke to penetrate a little bit more. I've found, if I sear first, I don't get as much of a smoke ring. The sear after is just to get a crisper outside.

See the photos in the Prime Rib post in the FE/CS forum
The first thing I am going to try on my new smoker is a prime rib. I only have 1 question on your recipe. Once you pull it out, do you let it rest, and if so for how long? I have perfected prime rib on my BBQ, but have never smoked one. I always let mine rest about 20 minutes before I slice it, or it becomes medium well throughout and looses alot of it's juices. Since this is my first smoke (and the justification of the smoker to my wife) please advise. Of all the prime ribs that I have done, I read your recipe, and I'm drooling! Newbs.
I did let it rest a bit (10 or so) but the idea is that the 3+hours at 140 is a rest of sorts. BTW next time we are going to cut the cooking time a bit more as my wife and I like it a bit more rare. This does NOT mean it wasn't tender & juicy, it was! We are just trying to make it the best we can.

Today, I'm smoking fresh line caught King Salmon and some jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese 'n' wrapped with bacon. That's another story . . .

Stuart R.
I know what you're thinking but if you go out and have roast beast it is often quite pink even though it is essentially cooked medium-well. This I believe is due to the long resting and slow roasting . . . I like meat TENDER & JUICY, I don't care if it's near raw or well done. I would like to do my rib roast next time with a finishing temp of about 135 or even less. When we do fillets of beef we aim for 122-125 (prior to rest) and this will give us a rare cut but that is in a 475 degree oven after a quick sear on the grill.

The problem with aiming at a lower temperature is the fact that the long rest at 140 will continue to raise the internal temp of the meat. Could you use a lower temp? Perhaps, but I think you'd be better off just hot roasting the meat (10-15 min) and then retire it to the cookshack for a long hold at 140. This is what I'll do on my next attempt.

My goal is not to conform to a "classification" of rare-well done but to make the meat the best I can make it. When I do tougher cuts of meat I need to cook them to "well done" and long, when I use fillet it's "rare" and short.

BTW it was pink and VERY juicy but not red/purple like I usually look for in a fillet.
StuartR,
What about the danger zone that I have been reading about? Since the meat spends so much time between 40 - 140 deg. F and now I see that you only want to get the internal temp. to about 135 deg. F, isn't this dangerous? This is probably a dumb question but I'm just starting out and will have a bunch more questions in the future.

Thanks
Bud
Bud, There's nothing to worry about because the meat is thoroughly pasteurized. Here's a quote from a reference:

"Pasteurization: A process named after scientist Louis Pasteur by which every particle of milk is heated to not lower than 145� F for not less than 30 minutes and promptly cooled to destroy any harmful bacteria that may be present without affecting flavor and food value."

Since the meat is in the oven for hours, no bacteria will survive, especially in the presence of smoke, which is one of the best known preservatives.

Pls don't underestimate the importance of sanitation and proper food handling after the meat is cooked and before it is served though. BTW, more food poisoning at outdoor events is caused by potato salad than almost any other item.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.