Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My 008 only gets to about 245. I have cooked ribs at 240 instead of 225 and there's not much difference except in time.  I start my ribs, close the door and don't open again for 4 hours, no spritzing or anything.  At four hours I can decide how much longer they need to go. I then put the ribs in a pan. Baste them top and bottom with some butter, honey and a little apple juice concentrate. I may or may not cover the pan with foil depending on how the bark looks. When I think they are ready, give them a bend test and go from there to eating or letting them go a little longer.

I haven't done spares in a long time. We prefer loin backs (baby backs). The best I've found are from Sam's Club. Costco sells Swift which has a large portion of the "white meat" loin still attached which always turns out dry and tough. Second best is BJ's. Anyway, at 225, mine usually take 6 - 6 1/2 hours (no preheat). I always start them bone side down and flip and rotate them about halfway through, just seems to get a better bark on top. I start testing (toothpick test) at 5 1/2 hours and as soon as they pass I pull them and if dinner is going to be later, I double wrap them in foil and put them in a 200F oven, but for no longer than about 1/2 hour so they don't dry out. They are usually bite-off-the-bone tender and juicy.

Your timing at 250 matches mine, I just like the result at 225 better. Let me know what you think if you try it.

i do loin ribs almost exclusively, usually st. louis trim, always at 225.  my wife likes fall off the bone style (allegedly happy wife equals happy life) so i typically do 3-2-1 method and at the end of that 6 hours they are fall apart tender.

i prefer having to tug off the bone a little, so when I do it my way w/o wrapping it takes an additional 1 to 1.5 hrs to get the tenderness.

plan for the longer time frame and follow jay's method in case they get done a little early and everyone will be happy

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.