Skip to main content

I ran across another recipe for beans that I thought I'd posed about 15 yrs ago.

"Fishboy" has bean a prominent cook and recipe/technique sharer from the KCMO area for at least a couple of decades.You will see his marinades,etc mentioned as the base for many of the folks that wrap for comps.and backyard cooks..

Old Dave,has bean known for beans and chili cooks and many others from here to Texas for decades.

Hope some of ya'll try it,you'll like it.

Courtesy 'ol Dave

I smoke or bake a BBQ Bean recipe from Rick Salmon that was posted on the site many years ago and maybe as early as 1993? It is sometimes posted as "Rick Salmon's Blue Ribbon Barbecue Pit Beans" and is a wonderful recipe. I am always asked to make them at about any cooking event.

I just made a pan last weekend.

Two 28 oz. & one 15 1/2 oz cans of Bushs original baked beans
1 12-to-16 ounce bottle barbeque sauce (I use KC Masterpiece)
1/2 onion, finely diced
1/2 green pepper, finely diced
3 celery stalks, finely diced
8 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
About 1 pound brown sugar (or what ever it takes to adequately cover)
2 tablespoons powered hickory seasoning (or bbq rub)
2 tablespoon celery seed
1 to 2 pounds of smoked pork or brisket
1 aluminum half steam pan (roughly a 9x13)

Put all the above ingredients in the pan. Mix well. Cover with brown sugar, about 1/2 to 1 inch thick and do not stir in the brown sugar. Put in smoker for about two to three hours at 200 to 225 degrees, I use hickory wood. Let the brown sugar melt down into the beans. Stirring it in is not necessary.

The only thing I change on this recipe is the cooking time and I like to leave them in the smoker for up to 5-6 hours.

Dave
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.