Skip to main content

Need to find a souce for no sugar BBG condiments.I'm a Type II Diabetic and need help. I'm uusing a Smokette 009, PRIMO BIG OVAL and an Iron Mountain gasser.Just recently bought the SM 009. Have done about 9 briskets, several chickens, about 20 racks of ribs, sausage, pork loins.
Any help on this pproblem will be appreciiated. Bill G. ( San Antonio Tx.)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is something you can change around to make work for you. I have made it sugar free, using brown slenda or regular and some molassas.

Red Barby Sauce

1 ½ cup Ketchup
1 8oz. can Tomato Sauce
½ cup water
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 T soy sauce
½ t each Black Pepper, dry mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dried basil crushed red pepper
¼ t allspice

Mix all together boil 3-4 minutes, simmer 10-30 minutes until desired consistency.

I may have even bought spice packets to make your own ketchup thus controling what goes in it.
I like the sauce using

1 can diet coke with splenda
1 cup ketchup
1tbspn chili powder
1tbspn onion powder
1 tbspn garlic salt
(sorry okie) tspn liquid smoke hickory flavor
and a dash of lea&perrins steak sauce.

Sometimes add a tbspn mustard.

Bring to slow boil,reduce heat to simmer and let simmer and stir till desired thickness.

My girlfriend is diabetic and we watch & try a lot of different stuff.
Last edited by Former Member
Bill - Welcome to the club that nobody wants to join. Smiler I substitute Splenda for sugar in any recipes. Don't use anything else, as it won't hold up to higher temperatures. To attempt to duplicate a brown sugar, consider using a Splenda/black strap molasses combination. (don't need much molasses). And keep in mind that overall, the amount of rub/sauce is still pretty minimal.

As you probably know, you can purchase low-carb (low sugar) Ketchup, albeit it is a bit expensive. I try to stay true to unprocessed foods, and make most condiments myself.

Good luck.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.