Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A Scimitar is better when you need leverage. The question might be what you want to slice.

For brisket, the long straight edge is better. I went with 14" to deal with the width of bigger briskets.

The Scimitar I use is good for cutting cartlidge. I have a small scimiatar that just wasn't cutting it. This bad puppy works great when I have to trim up spares.
Last edited by Former Member
quote:
Originally posted by Smoke N Italy:
... but I have always found CUTCO to make the best knives in the world!
They are simply, THE best. Of course thats just my opinion.
Good luck

Since the question is which one to buy, I'll say no to Cutco, they're Stamped Knives (not good).

From what I remember, the Cutco knives are the ones I see sold at State Fairs all the time.

Been buying GOOD knives since the 70's and done plenty of research, but can't say I remember seeing Cutco listed on the Best Knives to buy.

When in doubt on a knife, just good "xxxx knife reviews" you'll get great input.

Example: Google search on "cutco knife reviews"

Forschner is made in Switzerland and is a pretty good all around. There are better and there are worse, but the price is usually reasonable.

The KEY is to keep them sharp. I have mine professionally sharpened once a year ($2 a knife) and use a steel EVERY time I use it inbetween.

got my eye on a fancy sharpener, but haven't pulled that trigger yet.
I also like the same scimitar,but with the Granton edge.

I also found that for comps,the 12 in slicer works better for me,than our 14 inch.

It is a little less flexible,and works well up to about 16 lbs,or so.

We have also used Knife Merchant for years.

He will always be competitive,and will talk you out of the wrong knives,and encourage the correct one ,for your needs.
I like to use Asian style knives, yes since WAY before Rachel Ray, or however you spell it. Actually Martin Yan and Madhur Jaffry were the inspiration. I've got Henckels and Wustoff. They're okay. The best. For a Chinese cleaver, find an Asian market and get a Kong Moon cleaver, mine was about 5 bucks and it'll eat the Henckels for breakfast. Santuko? Same thing, I got a Grandam for 25 bones that'll bury the expensive stuff.

That being said the Forschners look good, and you can get them from Amazon.
I was in need of knives with my set of Chicago Cutlery being around 25 years old. They were kind of tired. So I got a set of Forschners. Figured if they worked for Smokin, they'd work for me. Went with the stamped Forschners versus the forged knives because of the price difference(they cut the country ribs last night beautifully).

Check out Cutlery and More. They've got great prices on the Forschners plus no shipping or tax like I would have paid at Kitchen Merchant cause they're also in California.

I only got the 12" slicer and the 12" scimitar because the 14" versions wouldn't fit into my kitchen drawers. Smokin. I really hate to admit that yours is bigger than mine. Eeker
Smokin' is more likely to find $0.89/lb packers and those that can run 18-22 lbs.

How many of ya'll are from brisket country,where they give them away on holidays?

Yes,you want the slice to go all the way across,but how often will many of ya'll use them.

We slice trimmed 17-18 lb packers with our 12 inch.

There is also a different skill level,using very long ,flexible slicers-especially for them folks that try to cook packers to 190*-195* and rest 20 mins. Eeker

Just a couple of thoughts.
For one, I didn't realize that I was so blessed to live here in Arkansas when it comes to talking brisket. We raise a lot of beef here and are surrounded by many states that do the same. There's only been one occasion when I have not been able to snag a good brisket & that was at Christmas. Little did I know that brisket was a traditional Christmas & New Years meal.

Back to slicing: We've done very well with a 12"er as Tom has stated. Seeing those Granton groves makes me want one. We use a straight blade. I can see where those air pockets would allow the brisket slices to fall off the blade much easier. As it is, it's not unusual for the slices to suction themselves to the Henckels blade. May invest in one on these puppies and see how the slicing goes. Big Grin
Thanks Tom. It's good to know that the Forshner's are that popular amongst the people that choose a good knife for a living/hobby. Listening to the experienced folks pays off once again. Seems to be habit forming. Smiler

Wheelz. I got the Granton blade on the slicer after reading up on them. Figure it will help to cut some items thin when desired.

I bought 8 Forschner's, and Cutlery and More threw in 3 Forschner paring knives for free since I spent over $99. Like I said, they priced them right.
Last edited by pags
Reading all the replies is a little funny. I started the post wondering if in the years since i stopped keeping up with these things, something else had come along and taken over Forchner's place as the bang for the buck choice. Guess I will replace my old, beat up Forchner with the same thing. At least after all these years I have my wife trained not to put the kives in the dishwasher. That only took 20 years.
Besides the experienced folks input, I went to internet sites that rated knives. The Forschner was consistently rated the best stamped knife available.

You might be able to find a better knife that is forged, but if you're looking for "the bang for the buck choice", you can't go wrong with the Forschner. Not saying there's not other good quality value knives out there, but I didn't need to look any further.
Yes,Forschner is stamped and can start out sharper.

Yes,it can lose it's edge, faster than my German knives,but I can bring it up in 20 seconds.

Yes,I have bought large,and growing knife collections for my "redneck,hillbilly,and coonass relatives".

Different knives ,for different uses.

The Forschner,gets used an awful lot.

Yes,I have the pro equipment,that allows me to work my German blades back up.

Yes,it is easier to mail them off,pay shipping and insurance,for $100.

No, my soft Forschner can not hack thru nails,nor chop raw turkey tendons from a 25 pounder.

Don't ask how I know. Red Face

Yes,as mentioned above,we like to use relatively inexpensive cleavers to chop.

But,I can bring it up to shave thumb nails in a half minute.
I bit the bullet and ordered the 12" Cimetar and 12" Slicing, both with Granton Blades, and 2 smaller knives form The Knife Merchant. What a super nice man! He asked if I had checked the price from anyone else, and I told him Cutlery & More, and he looked up their prices on the computer and promptly matched their price and included the free shipping. Excellent dealing with this real gentleman. Thanks guys!!

Hello all. I have played with and collected knives for years, enjoy sharpening both basic and higher-end steel, and spend a little time in the kitchen cooking.
My kitchen knives are nothing fancy I just keep them really sharp so that at least they don't tear up the food Japanese knives blog.

One thing I do every month or so is I get a 30lb boneless top round roast.
I then proceed to remove all of the fat, sinew, and membrane after which I cut the meat into large steaks which I further cut into long strips to make biltong.
Other times I use the same cut of meat but this time cube the steaks ready for grinding and turning into sausage (boerewors).
So nothing really delicate or that needs to look good for presentation.

Until now I have used a really cheap carving knife whose handle has now cracked. I figure it's time to get something more suited to the job.
I assume I would be after a slicing knife may be in the 11"-12" range maybe with a Granton edge?
Products like the Victorinox 12" butcher's knife, Dexter Russell Basics 12" Roast Slicer or even the very well priced Mercer Cutlery Millennia 11" Granton Slicer with Round End.

I am OK with carbon steel and it may be preferable to see me through the whole 30lb process without having to resharpen halfway through pastel rainbow background.

Am I on the right track? If not then please get me there!!

Thanks.

Last edited by carterherbert

The knife  at the link should serve you well in breaking down large hunks of meat and not break the bank.   While I do not have this particular knife I do have a few Old Hickory knives. (#705 set).  Very easy to maintain and not a huge loss if you do your meat cutting outdoors and happen to drop one on pavement.  I have a set just for grilling and BBQ. I also have  USA made Chicago Cutlery  knives, well over 40 years old and still going strong.

https://ontarioknife.com/collections/old-hickory®-1/products/7-14-butcher-knife

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.