Skip to main content

I apologize for the long message in advance. My SM 260 is not holding temps properly. Called Cookshack Tech support (they are the best) and was advised to bypass the door switch. I ran the oven up to 250 and maintained for 20 minutes with no problem.

Put 2 cases of chicken in this am and turned the unit on. 30 minutes later the temp was still registering at 100 deg. Turned the smoker off & allowed to reset and started again.

The temp came up SLOWLY and only reached 225 after about 2 hrs. I opened the door an checked the elements out. They were red but not along the entire element. I had ordered 2 extra elements with the unit and installed them to see if this would help.

Turned the unit on and waited. One element was cherry red after 2 or three minutes but the other one was not. Check the element temp by lightly touching a paper towel to it. The paper towel slowly discolored but the element never glowed.

How long does it take both elements to glow? Any ideas on the problem?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry, didn't see the post. Sounds like you needed to replace the elements and when replaced the 2nd one wasn't connected right or was bad.

I've never looked to see when they "glow" just wait to see if they get to temp. Usually around 30 min I think on a 260.

What was the end result to fix it?
I appreciate you guys responding. Thanks to Bill @ Cookshack I managed to get smoking again.

The initial problem was solved with a new wiring harness. Didn't seem to get sufficient current to the elements.

Once sufficient power was available I noticed one element not heating up. Checked it for resistance and the element failed the test. Replaced element and & presto!

However, I managed to fry the relay during process and after a trip to Grainger the smoker was operational again.

I can't say enough about Bill. He stayed engaged and helped me troubleshoot the issue! I was able to get brisket and pork butts in for the evening smoke.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.