Skip to main content

Going to purchase one or the other before the end of the week. I am concerned that the larger model will be too big when just cooking for my family of 6. Also concerned that the 009 will be too small when entertaining. I've heard that you need to utilize a fair amount of the capacity of the smoker to maintain moisture. What are your thoughts?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

ngraves, I own a 55 and am single and all the kids are grown and moved away. However I have lots of friends that ask me to smoke things for them and a large family that I take the smoker with me when I visit them. I have smoked small roasts and also had the smoker filled to the max and both ways produces the same moist results. If I had purchased the smaller 009 at times it would have been to small where the 55 has never been to big (yet).
If you are creative and plan a little ,you can feed an awful lot of folks with a 008.

I cooked for years on an 008 for groups,and now I cook in a 160,or an FEC 100 for the two of us.

On the other hand,you will never quit using either,so if you can afford the 55,you have a little more flexibility for those big times.

Too much moisture will likely be your observation,rather than too little.
ngraves, I have an 008 as well as a 150.

I always figure to buy one step up on any purchases I make.

You say you have a family of 6. Well someday that family will grow.

You can also smoke food ahead of time and freeze it.

I bought my son and my daughter in law both model 50s for there wedding gifts.

They do small cooks as well a large cooks for the extended families.

I am no way a salesmen for any smoker company.

Im a retired firefighter/emt.

What ever way you go on your choices, you cant go wrong with a Cookshack Smoker.
I bought the 55 about a year ago. I have used it about 45-50 times. Enough to have worked out all the kinks and cook just about everything I can think of. Lots of ribs and Butts and chicken. I have even cooked 6-8 brisket. I have come to thwe conclustion that the quality of the product will never be able to rival an offset smoker. Dosent even come close. It has its place in my arsenal of smokers. I have used it primarily on butts because they are really hard to mess up.
Dont get me wronge,this is not a bad smoker. it is really easy to load and easy to operate. it dosent take much,if any effort or skil. It is the definition of "set it and forget it". Problem is,it just dosent hold up in terms of quality of low and slow smoked meats. Before you guys all jump on my,remember,I have used it a LOT of times. I am not beginer at this thing called Q. I own a resturant that has about 1/3 on my menu is BBQ. My old offset is the way to go for the best. The 55 is the way to go for the easiest.
For the love of the big guy, no doubt, the 50 or the 55 is the way to go. I LOVE the Smokette. But if you have the wherewithall to get the larger size, go for it. It's not an unsubstantial $$ uplift. The Smokette can absolutely do more than you think. But, at the end of the day, the 50-55 can do more. ymmv. Cheers and you won't be disappointed either way.
Gator, the offset? You're kidding right? For the effort you put into it, and unless you can haul it with a truck, there is no way an offset is worth the work, certainly for the average backyard chef. A friend has a very well known ceramic, and a very well known offset. I presume you are an insomniac and love to sleep in your backyard. For me, Cookshack absolutely is the way to go. Okay, it's easy, but the food is no different to what I have sampled on any other cooker. If you own a restaurant, perhaps you can pay for the help to look after it for you. Either way, my best wishes to to you on your cooks!! Cheers!
I bought the smokette and smoked 1 turkey. It was great but small. Cookshack took it back on trade for the SMO55. It had a bad heating element but CS sent a replacement I could install myself and it has worked well for 8 or 10 years now. CS has also taught me how to smoke the finest meats my family could want. If it ever breaks I want that 18 inch wide AmeriQue so bad I have considered telling wife old smokie went south. Just think smoke a brisket without rolling it up, but thats twice what I paid for my 55, guess I'll keep rolling.
Soyousee,have you tried hanging a brisket to cook it?

The 50 should be plenty tall enough,for any size.

I never have,but Paul Kirk,a noted competitor and instructor hangs all his briskets to cook.

He feels they self baste and cook more evenly?

He has several books out,that your local library might have.

He also has three videos.

He has also done TV programs, where he instructs on his hanging technique.

John Willingham,a past winner of Memphis in May from Memphis, builds pellet cookers that hang the ribs and I believe briskets.

I'm not promoting their products,merely providing the info.

Just a thought, until that Amerique comes your way. Wink

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.