Skip to main content

Got the new unit yesterday and put everything together last night. Fired it up this morning with one chunk of hickory and 30 minutes later it was smokin away. Glad I read the posts on this forum because otherwise I'm sure I would have not known to bend the heating element upwards. The element was so loose and laying on the bottom that I actually thought it had come unfastened during shipment. Can't wait till the meat goes in tomorrow!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Well, the first cook was very disappointing. With the seasoning, the wood burned to ash. With the actual cook the wood was just black - barely burned. I did use a small chunk of cherry wood that I had on hand - maybe that was the problem. I checked the heating element and it was positioned just like with the seasoning where the wood burned fine. The meat might as well have been cooked in the indoor oven. Oh well.
Yeah, Cherry is a pretty mild wood and if you are cooking a PB it can take more smoke flavor.

Placement of the wood in the wood box will make a difference on the burning of the wood. After a couple of cooks, you can look at the bottom of the wood box and get a good idea of the hot areas.

Make sure you keep good notes on your cooks for future references, likes/dislikes.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.