Skip to main content

I have noticed something in the SM150 that I recently bought. On two occasions now when I have opened the door to test for doneness, after closing the door the temperature continues to fall for about 30 minutes. One time the program was set for 4 hours at 225. I opened the door at 1.5 hours. It was a meatloaf. On the the other occasion the program was set for 5 hours and I opened the door at the 4 hr mark. These were ribs. Both times the temp fell from 225 to 150 in a span of about 30 minutes. For some reason, opening the door is disingaging the heating element and it isn't heating back up. The only way I can force it to do so is to unplug/reset the program. This can't be normal! Any advice or experience with this? I will call cookshack, but wanted to check with you all first. Thanks!

Both times the door was open for less then 30 seconds and the program on the display continued to operate. The temperature on the display showed the temperature falling. Plus I had an extra thermometer monitoring the same issue.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I didn't get any responses but perhaps an update would interest people. I noticed that my problem continues and it happens after I preheat the smoker, open the door and put the food in. The heating element shuts off but the smoker control panel continues to operate. This morning I turned the smoker on and it wouldn't heat at all. I was afraid it was the heating element. I did notice the Door sensor light was not coming on at all.

I called cookshack this morning to see if I could get some help. Bill told me he thought it was the door sensor malfunctioning and to bypass it. He told me how and so I will give that a shot tonight.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.