Skip to main content

A strange thing has recently started when using three or more blocks of wood. After the smoker starts producing smoke there are several small explosions. At first I thought it was moisture hitting the hot smoke box but I don't think that is the problem now. I believe it may be blocks are flaming and igniting the large concentration of smoke in the box. I never have expierence this before and was wondering if anybody else has. If so, what do I do to prevent this from happening?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by rjameson:
A strange thing has recently started when using three or more blocks of wood. After the smoker starts producing smoke there are several small explosions. At first I thought it was moisture hitting the hot smoke box but I don't think that is the problem now. I believe it may be blocks are flaming and igniting the large concentration of smoke in the box. I never have expierence this before and was wondering if anybody else has. If so, what do I do to prevent this from happening?

I had it happen when trying to use wood chips. Since I have quit using wood chips it hasn't happened again.
From an old thread:

The big bang
quote:
Originally posted by Smokenque:
There was a good description of a "bang" by a fireman on either this forum or one of the others I've signed up for.

It might have to do with partially burned fuel that is in the atmosphere of the smoker. This, as I understand, is early on in the smoke.

The inside of the smoker is controlled in how much oxygen is allowed inside, creating a lot of smoke rather than fire. I've had this inadvertently happen when I opened the box early on, like about the 30 minutes that jimbie mentioned. That inrush of oxygen, reacting with the rich smoke caused the wood to ignite and created mini fireball. I only cracked the door and after the flash, boom.. the door was sucked closed.

While I don't know the technicalities of it.. there can be a mini explosion that you might not hear when grease or smoke ignites causing a big puff. When that is finished, fresh oxygen filled air is pulled in the holes to replace that air that expanded and blew out the holes and gaps around the door. That large amount of oxygen can cause a bigger bang or pop.

Most incidences I've heard about are usually in the early stages of a new smoker. After a bit of time, the smoke residue seals enough of the gaps to minimize the intrusion of air, other than was designed into the unit.
Thanks Smokin,

I guess maybe you can see why I'm interested in this. That is I would like to dry my wood a little more and cut into smaller pieces to add to my brisket smokes. I was afraid that maybe it would catch on fire and drain the smoker of oxygen, which may be whoosh of fresh air and the "bang" when ignited(which I'm having trouble rationalizing). It doesn't appear that it has any effect on product.Correct???
Cal,

Honestly? I wouldn't worry about it. If it hasn't happened by now, reading the above should tell you it won't.

And if there even was more "flame" the puff would probably starve the flame of any oxygen source.

It's just normal for people to ask about something strange, but it's really not a frequent enough thing to make it more than that. It's a rare case, and I haven't really seen enough info to give an exact way to duplicate it.
To answer Cal's questions, Yes it is CS Wood. I buy it in I thing 5 pound boxes. I can't be sure how dry it is but I would guess the moisture content is low. The sizes are what CS sends and I had three chunks in the smoker box. As far as I know, there has not been any damage done with the exception of dirty underware when it happens (these are not just puffs but rather loud explosions which blows a great deal of smoke into the air.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.