Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by Soleman:
I have always gotten good results with Excel pork from SAMs Club. It appears they are now carrying Smithfield instead.

Anyone have experience with Smithfield?

Excel/IBP is Tyson brand. I've cooked some of the Smithfield primes at comps. Haven't noticed a lot of difference between the two brands.
I just moved to SE Virginia and Smithfield is the only product sold down here (go figure, haha). My last 2 butts were Smithfield and I had the two worst outcomes yet. Both were dry even though temps were 205 when finished. I made sure the butts were not pre-brined, however neither were prime either (I can't find the prime butts anywhere down here (again, go figure). I ran to a Sam's Club about an hour away to buy their butts, which I always liked, but to my dismay they were Smithfield also. Uggh.
quote:
Originally posted by RockySmoke:
I just moved to SE Virginia and Smithfield is the only product sold down here (go figure, haha). My last 2 butts were Smithfield and I had the two worst outcomes yet. Both were dry even though temps were 205 when finished. I made sure the butts were not pre-brined, however neither were prime either (I can't find the prime butts anywhere down here (again, go figure). I ran to a Sam's Club about an hour away to buy their butts, which I always liked, but to my dismay they were Smithfield also. Uggh.

Sam's around here only carry the Smithfield prime butts. They are also individually wrapped as single butts, which I like. Last comp I was 7th place PB out of 65 teams with them.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.