Skip to main content

We have discussed smoking nuts,and here are a couple of approaches,graciously posted by Don,of Dueling Bubbas-on Ray Basso's forum.

Posted by Don, Dueling Bubbas on May 13, 2010 at 17:02:59:
firs of two...

Dan Howard's from http://www.bbqdan.com/recipes/smoked_almonds.html :

This is very quick and simple recipe that Dan Howard provided to the members of the SCBBQA both via example at a Q-Fest and via posting his recipe to the email list. I always have a quantity of these smoked Almonds on hand.

3 pound bag Almonds, typically from Costco

2 Tablespoons Salt

2 Tablespoons BBQ Rub (use the Paul Kirk rub posted on this recipe list)

1 cube Butter

Melt the Butter in a pan, mix in the salt and rub, mix with a whisk. Only just prior to putting the Almonds in the Smoking Pit, or oven, mix with the Almonds. If you mix the Almonds and butter mixture prior to roasting lumps will form on the Almonds from the seasonings and will not go away while cooking.

To mix the Almonds and Butter I combine them in a large stainless steel bowl and mix with a large spoon until the Butter, seasonings, and Almonds are all mixed equally well.

Put the now mixed Almonds, seasonings, and Butter into a BBQ type WOK pan. This is a pan that has a lot of holes in it, but, not big enough for the almonds to fall through. This allows the almonds to absorb the smoke and cook more evenly. If you do not have such a pan then use a large stainless pan.

The Smoking Pit will be at 230 - 250 typically. Set the oven at the same. Cook the almonds for about 45 minutes to 1 hour then stir and check for doneness. They can burn as quick as a piece of toast if not watched. It can take as long as 2 - 3 hours. But, be careful to check about every 30 minutes after 1 hour. Simply taste for the right tastiness to suit youself.

When done remove, pour in a large brown shopping bag, shake briskly until the Butter and seasonings are coating the Almonds to your liking.
Here is the second.

heres the second of two by Rick Gifford from Dizzy Pig folks...

from http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesAlmonds.html :
Boccie's Swamp Venom Plum Smoke Roasted Almonds by Rick Gifford

Start with raw almonds. These can be found in the baking section of your grocery store. Chef's Naturals are what I find locally.

Measure out 2 cups:
Soak in water for 10 minutes.

Why soak? You will find that your seasonings fall off after a short time. Salt just doesnt want to stay on the almonds. Through some trial and error, attempts of soaking in a brine solution etc. I have settled on a short soak in water to help with this. The salt now melts onto the almonds. In addition if the almonds are soaked long enough they will swell in size, and it will change how dense they are after roasted. 10 minutes wont swell the almonds much at all. If you prefer this, use a warm water and soak 20-30 minutes. Try it both ways and see what you like the best.

Now drain well and coat with olive oil. About 2 tablespoons will be enough. Mix well with your hands.

Now season well with table salt. Do not use kosher salt as the grains are too big and will just fall off after a short time. For an added kick use Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom seasoning. The following pictures show a batch done with the Swamp Venom. Use the seasoning generously while mixing the nuts using your hands. Ok use kitchen spoons if you're a real wimp :-) It isn't real cooking unless you get your hands dirty somewhere in the process!

Use a pan with sides. Or you can use tin foil with the ends folded as sides. I use a vegetable pan I found in the camping section of a department store. I cover the bottom with foil to prevent burning the almonds through the holes of the pan. Once the cooker is stabilized at 325deg, place a small amount of Plum wood and wait until it is smoking well. Any fruit wood should work just fine. Place your pan on the cooker.

Stir every 5 minutes, and recoat with your seasoning each time. You'll only do this twice since the almonds will be dried enough after 10-15 minutes that any added seasoning wont stick anyhow.

After 20 minutes or when the almonds look right (this is of course a judgement call on your part) remove from the cooker and allow the almonds to cool. They will be soft until cooled, and will possibly be quite noisy while they are cooling and some will crack open.

The almonds have a good color after 20 minutes and are done just right here:
Thats it, enjoy!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I used Don's recipe on 3 #s of almonds, and they turned out very tasty. Same recipe but I used a Texas Beef rub instead of Paul Kirk's rub cause that's what I had that seemed to make some sense. A little greasy though so I think I used too much butter. I used 1.25 sticks. For the remaining 3# I used my old standby of Worcestershire, salt, garlic.

Both batches went into the smoker at the same time. Started at 210* for a couple hrs then kicked it up to 250* for a couple hrs. Hickory. I've used butter recipes twice now and seem to wind up with greasy almonds. Very tasty, but greasy. It's got to be me, since others seem to do well with it.
I did 3 lbs yesterday, and another 3 lb batch today (in my SM025)

Both batches using Worcestershire, salt, garlic.

(I heat up 4 Tbsp of the Worcestershire with 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt, to dissolve as much of the salt as possible).

I toss the almond with that mixture, then coat with 2 Tbsp kosher salt and 4 tsp garlic powder.

I had been smoking at 225 for 3 hours, then bumping to 300 for the last hour (tossing and rotating the baskets every hour) -- but the smoke would always stop less than 2 hours in. Bumping up the temp helped.

So today I did it all at 250. There was smoke right to the end, but could have been toasted a bit more. Next time I'll try 250 for 3 hours, then increasing to 300 for the last hour.

(My theory is that the load is just too small with the almonds. I've been meaning to get a brick to throw in, to make it more of a load and hopefully keep the smoke going longer -- as an experiment.)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.