Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I smoke almonds quite a bit and have had success with this recipe:

4 lbs Almond
6 TB Worcestershire sauce
2 TB granulated garlic
2 tsp salt or sea salt

In a large bowl and using a large serving spoon, mix the almonds with the sauce until completely coated. Add garlic, mix till evenly covered. Add salt, mix till evenly coated. Lay almonds in a single layer on cookie sheets. Once layered on the cookie sheets, I sprinkle on some more garlic (only if you like it heavier) and a little more salt.

My cookie sheets fit into the Elite's slots or set on grills. Smoke at 225* for 3-4 hrs depending on how toasted you would like the almonds. I turn the almonds half way through the smoke. I go longer on the smoke to get them real toasty.

I found the almonds fall through the grills so you're going to have to use the cookie sheets. Big Grin

I'm smoking the garlic almonds quite often. Never out of stock on them. They have great health benefits, and I snack on them a lot. Most of the time I tend to go lighter on the salt. I've sent batches to family in Chicago and have given them to friends. They love them, and I'm always getting requests.

If you prefer another taste, you could substitute ground dried chipotle powder, barbecue powder, celery salt or anything you can think of for the garlic.

Hope you enjoy.
Last edited by pags
I guess so. At least you're not roasting roasted almonds. Besides the thought of another smoker's product in my Cookshack sends shivers up my spine. Big Grin

I've seen recipes with much shorter smokes, maybe that's because they're already roasted. Mine turn out crispy, not burnt.
People seem to like them. Start with 2 hrs and take a sample. You can always smoke longer. I also figured the raw almonds would be cheaper than roasted.

I'm eating some as we speak, er write.
quote:

Smoke at 225* for 3-4 hrs depending on how toasted you would like the almonds. I turn the almonds half way through the smoke.

I have to try this recipe.

Please forgive me for sounding like a complete dolt, but what exactly do you do when you "turn" the almonds? I can't get this picture out of my head of the world's smallest spatula.
Well I've smoked about 12 pounds of almonds so far. Half have been seasoned with granulated garlic and the other half with Cookshack Chicken Rub. It has all turned out great. I have found that they get better after sitting in a zip lock bag for a day or so. You have to watch though, they are very addictive. I know have freinds bugging me to smoke for them!
Way to go Dr. Dan. I, too, have noticed the almonds seem to pick up more smoke flavor if they sit in a container for a day or two. Go figure. But that's OK with me. They're great.

I've got friends making the same request. They'll supply the almonds if I smoke the almonds for them. What with the other ingredients and the prep time I think I should charge them a lb. or two.
Last edited by pags
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
You can buy them in bulk by the lb at WinCo, Whole Foods, farmer's markets, produce section at flea markets, and roadside produce stands. The last three may be a California phenomenon. I'm sure other grocery stores carry them in bulk also.

Our roadside stands have roasted peanuts, raw peanuts, and boiled peanuts. Which one of these is the same thing as almonds? Roll Eyes
Halved Pag's recipe above. This was my first attempt at smoked almonds. Used 2 lb raw almonds from Costco (3 lb / ~$10)

Thought I would use my seafood grill but this didn't work - too many almonds went through the small holes. Put a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack and poked holes in it with a large meat fork. This worked OK, but I forgot to spray the foil with Pam and the Almonds stuck.

Put them in a pre-heated 225F oven, sliding the wood box in at the same time with 3 oz hickory. After 40 minutes I noticed that I didn't get any smoke. Bumped the temp up to 250 and she started billowing thick clouds for me. Cooked them 3 hours total turning them halfway until I had to shut it down as we were going out for the evening. Came out tasty, but could have used more smoke and longer roasting time.

Next time I will put them in a cold smoker with the wood box and cook them at 250F for maybe 3 1/2 hours.

Thanks Pags. This is a good recipe. I just need to fine-tune it for my setup.
Mine always state raw or roasted, but I would imagine if it's not stated, it's probably raw. Raw won't be as crisp, but that won't help you until you've made a comparison between the two.

Go to WinCo or Whole Foods and buy their raw almonds in bulk. WinCo is cheaper. I believe the 3 lb bag at Costco is raw, but I'm not positive.
Thanks Pags!!

I smoked 2 lbs. raw almonds using your basic recipe but added a couple of drops of Crystal Hot Sauce and a sprinkle of my dry rub. Smoked them with about 5 oz. of hickory and 1 oz of cherry for 4 hours and now have them in a zip lock! Smoked them in a large stainless steel seafood/vegetable dish.
quote:
Originally posted by Dan-Q:

Thought I would use my seafood grill but this didn't work - too many almonds went through the small holes. Put a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack and poked holes in it with a large meat fork. This worked OK, but I forgot to spray the foil with Pam and the Almonds stuck.

Found my seafood grills for my 009 - the holes are much smaller than the ones I bought for my AQ so the nuts don't fall through. Also the 009 ones don't stick to the nuts if you forget the Pam spray (again)

Made another batch of almonds. Started with hot oven from a previous smoke. Left them in about 4 hrs and 15 minutes - came out semi-burnt tasting. Will have to throw them out. 4 hours @225 is good but only when starting with a cold smoker.

Smoked some walnuts and pecan halves - 2 hours in hickory @ 225. made pralines with the pecans and candied the walnuts. Unusual taste. I love 'em. Wife not so much. Co-workers are either "Unbelievable" or taste confusion.
I think you're making things too complicated.

I've always just used a pyrex baking pan. Pour the almonds in, add spice, add a little butter to make everything stick, and smoke for an hour or two. Stir maybe once or twice.

I don't think you need to worry about the smoke penetrating (the use of grills or foil with holes) They'll pick up plenty of smoke, especially if you stir once or twice.
Tried the smoked almonds this afternoon. They are excellent.

Used the worcestershire as suggested in a mixing bowl. Did two batches, one with garlic salt and another one with garlic salt and heavy red pepper for some kick.

Placed them on two racks I bought at a restaurant supply store, they are a heavy stainless mesh rack and they fit well on top of the CS racks. Allow smoke to flow thru great.

3 hours at 225 with hickory.

Both are very good. Plan to try another batch when we finish these off, but plan to smoke them with no spice and then finish them off with a coat of butter and brown sugar in the oven for a sweet taste, might add a little red pepper for the sweet/spicy taste.

After that, plan to try this with pecans around Christmas time.
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
I've always just used a pyrex baking pan. Pour the almonds in, add spice, add a little butter to make everything stick, and smoke for an hour or two. Stir maybe once or twice.

Interesting, in your pan, do you have them all on top of each other (as you would cook a macaroni in the oven), or just in one layer ?

I have a metallic wok (with holes) for the gaz grill, I was wondering if I could just pour the two pounds of almond in it and throw it in the 008 as is insteat of using cooking sheet with layered almonds... ?
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Qnorth:
Interesting, in your pan, do you have them all on top of each other (as you would cook a macaroni in the oven), or just in one layer ?

Sorry, I missed your question. I usually just pour them in the pyrex pan, not too deep but not worrying too much about the depth. As long as you stir a couple times, they will all get the smoke.
Have one of those metal woks w/ the holes too. Tried Pags recipe & placed them in the wok & worked fine for me.

Turned out very good, the wife & my mom keep saying they're addicting! Seems like less salt than the store-bought "smokehouse" almonds, which is not a bad thing IMO.

The seasoning kind of clumped up on the almonds, but that's my fault for not reading directions closely. Mixed up all ing. for seasoning before tossing in almonds. Taste's an A. Appearance is more like a C, C-. Oh well, just gives me an excuse to make some more Wink
I just completed a "shootout" article on cold smoking, and compared a DIY soldering iron smoker, a hand held food smoker called The Smoking Gun, and a Cookshack.

I smoke a lot of almonds too, and recently I've found cold smoking gives a better taste. I use two recipes. One is similar to what Pags posted, and that's what I used for the test. The other is loaded with honey and maple syrup.

I have had trouble with the latter recipe in hot smoking. The nuts tend to caramelize and can get a little nasty tasting with the char. With cold smoking plain for about 20 hours they are mild but clearly smoked, and then the gooey stuff can be added and cooked in the Cookshack at 225 for a couple of hours and come out clean and tasting perfect. The recipe I used was more of a test against other equipment because those can be hot smoked easily.

What I found was that the soldering iron smoker gimmicks work just fine if 1) your food absorbs smoke in 2 hours or so, or you can let it go as long as you like if 2) you don't mind spending a small fortune on wood chips. The Cookshack is a bit of a pain with the ice and all, but the economy is unprecedented. I was able to hold it at 72 degrees.

The hand held Smoking Gun is a very cool gadget. It's not good for anything but short term flavoring, but for putting a smoke flavor on anything from shellfish to a salad it works great.

I get my almonds at Costco, $10 for 3 lbs.

Here's the article if you'd like more details.
I'll be glad to post both recipes, but tonight I'm looking at some minor revisions, based on the cold smoking. I'll post when it's done.

In the meantime, Pags, here's a real find, and you can get it at the Folsom Outlet Mall at the kitchen store. Fits the Cookshack like a glove. $10.

Thanks. Looks like it would work well with chicken wings too.

I just did 7.5 lbs. of almonds, 5 lbs using the recipe I've used but substituted Yoshida Teriyaki for the Worcestershire and 2.5 lbs using TN Q's recipe with a little pecan rub on the maple syrup instead of the chicken rub. Put the maple almonds into the oven without smoking. Both turned out very good. As suspected, my daughter and granddaughter really loved TN Q's recipe. I should have used a little Pam on the cookie sheets holding the maple covered almonds. They really stuck fast(like cement) even though the cookie sheets were non stick. By popular request, some of the smoked almonds are heading to Chicago.

WinCo just raised the price of almonds again to $3.88/lb from $2.88 originally and the almonds seem smaller, so it looks like Costco next time as suggested by Donna.
quote:
Originally posted by LCNSac:
I'll be glad to post both recipes, but tonight I'm looking at some minor revisions, based on the cold smoking. I'll post when it's done.

In the meantime, Pags, here's a real find, and you can get it at the Folsom Outlet Mall at the kitchen store. Fits the Cookshack like a glove. $10.

What is this actually called? Looking for something like it, but don't have a clue what it is called to see if I can find one on-line or one locally? Thanks for the help.
Is there an advantage using a colander/steamer/strainer in the process of smoking nuts? Wouldn't this create an increased mass; thus taking much longer for the heat to penetrate to the 'center' nuts? Part of the process of smoking is thoroughly heating the nut and partially drying for that increased crunch and concentration of flavors. Seems to me it would require frequent stirring of product to ensure relatively even exposure; definately not recommended if there are any sugars in the coating.
Last edited by tnq
quote:
Originally posted by TN Q:
Is there an advantage using a colander/steamer/strainer in the process of smoking nuts? Wouldn't this create an increased mass; thus taking much longer for the heat to penetrate to the 'center' nuts?

Instead of laying them on a solid sheet, putting them on a rack with fine netting will allow the smoke/heat to penetrate all sides. You don't have to use one like the picture (with the curved sides)

there's a product, like a silpat, that is basically a flexible rack.
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinOkie:
Instead of laying them on a solid sheet, putting them on a rack with fine netting will allow the smoke/heat to penetrate all sides. You don't have to use one like the picture (with the curved sides)

there's a product, like a silpat, that is basically a flexible rack.

Agreed 100%. However, image provided appears to show a mass of nuts that are not in a single layer. If you're layering, the use of these types of accessories would not be as efficient as using a flat surface for smoking nuts. Silicon screening and mats do work great for for this and many other applications.

DB
I agree. I've tried every combination and the single layer works best. The problem is capacity with the Smokette.

The nuts in the picture are untreated, and it does require stirring once or twice during the smoking process. When using sugars you can apply the sugars to the smoked raw nuts, and use the oven or even a grill to finish. For smaller quantities the Smokette is fine, but I find cold (best) or hot smoking the untreated nuts first produces a more buttery flavor.

I also do lots of smoked shrimp/prawns. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd think the basket would work well there too.
It would work well with chicken wings also.

For almonds, I use 4 cookie sheets, single layer the nuts for the most part since I do jam them onto the sheets. I can get 1.5 lbs of almonds on each cookie sheet, therefore, total of 6 lbs. in my Elite. I place two of the cookie sheets on the grills sitting on top of the side support slots, and then insert the lips of two more cookie sheets right into the side support slots(you'll need two medium size cookie sheets that fit perfectly). All the almonds get plenty of smoke, but I do turn them half way through the smoke.
Last edited by pags
Ya know, I started this thread back in mid August and it's amazing to see that something as simple as smoked almonds has drawn so much attention. It just goes to show how popular Cookshack and this forum actually are!

As for trays to smoke almonds on... I use Hefty EZ Foil Meat Grill Pans with the perforated bottom. I purchase them at my local grocery store for about $2.99 per pack of two. They work great and actually wash up nice for repeated use.

As for the smoked almonds.... I wouldn't do them if I were you. I recently had to join Smoked Almonds Anonymous. Every time I walked by the bag on the counter, I had to stop and grab a handfull. I guess I'll have to attend extra meetings this week though, cause I have six pounds waiting to hit the 025 in the morning!

Later All!
Here are two recipes that have worked well for me over the years. One is honey-based and sweet and the other is sugar free.

Martha's Jacked Up Honey Roasted Almonds

3 lbs. (or 8 cups) uncooked, untreated natural almonds –
6 oz honey
½ cup BROWN sugar
½ cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
¾ - 1 tsp cayenne depending on your taste preference
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup real Maple Syrup (don’t use artificial. Spend the money for the real stuff—it’s the only thing that works)
1-cup Jack Daniels bourbon (use any bourbon, but it should have some kick to it. Wild Turkey is a good alternative)

Garlic Smoked Sugar Free Almonds
3 cups or 1.25 lbs. natural, untreated almonds
1 egg white or ¼ cup Egg Beaters (an adhesive for the spices, no flavor is added)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp celery salt
1 tblsp sea salt
½ tsp liquid smoke

I've been doing some experimenting, and found that cold smoking does produce a slightly better taste--more buttery. But, I'm not sure it's practical for most people. If interested, here a step by step tutorial I published adapting both recipes to cold smoking if desired.
Now that first recipe looks like my type of almonds. Love the Jack. I bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack and brought it to last Saturday's Christmas party. Three of my buddies and I polished it off. Very nice.

I'm definitely trying this recipe. I've got 3 lbs of raw almonds from Sam's just waiting. They're waiting for us to work through the 6 lbs. we just did. Some on the way to Chicago.
LNCSac. I just mixed up a 4 lb batch of your Martha's Jacked Up Honey Roasted Almonds, and they're sitting in the refrigerator as I write this. I'm leaving them in for 4 hours, then I'll bring them out and put them in my smoker.

The one that fell out of the bowl onto the counter tasted delicious wet, unsmoked and unroasted. Looking forward to the finished product.

Figure I'll smoke them for about 3-4 hours at 200- 225*. I went to your sight and read all 3 parts associated with smoking almonds. Thanks. Very interesting.
As you would expect with the honey, syrup, and brown sugar, they turned out on the sweet side. The Jack Daniels flavor dissipated during the smoke, and they had little smoke flavoring. I don't know if the coating prevented smoke penetration or if the wine soaked, oak wood slats I got from a local winery were burned too quickly. I think wood chunks would impart more smoke to the almonds.

All in all, they were tasty. I just prefer the spicier, more garlicky, smoked flavored almonds. My daughter and grandkids loved them. After all is said, I ate about 30 of them last night. Pretty good.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Jack_Daniels_Almonds_001
Pags, I think your cook turned out about right. You should taste a light smoke, but not much. The bourbon does make a difference--you can tell if you eliminate it---but it doesn't taste like two fingers of Jack either!

They are very sweet, and in my mind best for the holidays. I'm with you on the taste preference, but people seem to prefer this one, especially women. Thanks for taking the time to share your results and observations--it's how we learn.

John
I smoked 4 lbs of almonds yesterday using two recipes. The first 2 lbs I used the recipe I shared way at the top of this thread. The second two lbs. I used the same recipe but switched out the Worcestershire sauce with Jack Daniels.

After smoking the almonds, the Jack Daniels taste dissipates, and you can't detect it. They still have the smoke and garlic flavoring, but no Jack. I had my wife do a taste test, and she likes the Worcestershire version better. I think she's right.
Hi everyone I am making up another batch of smoked almonds for Christmas gifts this year using Pags's recipe. I used to cover my racks with foil and poke holes in them which was a pain to keep them from falling off and it was easy to put a finger through the foil too. So this year I decided to look for something better. I went out and found a perfect pan for this at Target. Look for Kitchen essentials from Calphalon non stick bakeware 12 x 17 inch crisping pan. It has lots of little holes in it for the smoke to move through and it fits perfectly in the rack slots in my SM 025. I still spray them with some cooking spray so they clean up easy. They don't fit so tight that the smoke cant go around them so I reversed the pans as the front side has a little curve. I push one to the back of the smoker and let the door push the other one in just far enough so the smoke path for smoke around the pans is, around the back of one pan and the front of the other pan sort of like an S pattern.
Pags,

Yes that is the pan and it does have a little lip around it. I suggest you just go to target and take a look at it. Its just enough to keep the nuts from sliding off. I just dumped a bunch of almonds on a pan and then gently shake it from side to side so they settle and form a layer one almond deep. The lip height is just about perfect if it was bigger it would keep the pans from sliding into the rack holders in the smoker. I don't stir the nuts halfway but After 2-3 hours I moved the top pan to the bottom position so they get even heat and smoke. I only do one 3 lb batch with 1.5 on each sheet. If I had the 5 slot rack holder I could do a double batch or more. Do you know if the 5 slot rack fits the Elite 025?

Here is another link to amazon you can zoom the picture and see it better.

http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-...ng-Pan/dp/B003M3DPIG
Last edited by Former Member
Very interesting. Thanks. I like the idea of not having to turn the almonds since the holes allow smoke to come up through the bottom of the pan. Guess it's the same principal with frog mats and woks. I like the frogmats too, but without the lip coupled with my clutziness, I'd spill them.

I've been using normal baking pans and turning the almonds halfway through the smoke. I slip 2 pans into the Cookshack Elite slots (the pan lips fit perfectly) and 2 on the grates sitting on top of the slots. I can do 4 pans that way. There's less than an inch between the pan in the slot and the grate sitting above it, but all the almonds get plenty of smoke. Seems the smoke just works it's way around all 4 pans.

Yesterday I jammed 8 lbs of almonds onto the 4 pans and smoked them for about 4 hrs at 235* with hickory. They turned out great cause I like them a little toasty. Nice smoke and garlic flavoring. We're sending a lb each along with a Christmas ornament to 7 families back in Chicago. Just letting everyone know we love them.

Including the almonds, ingredients, wood and electricity, I figure I'm doing the almonds at less than 1/3 the price I've seen online not counting shipping them to me.
Last edited by pags
Pags,

These pans fit the slots on my elite perfectly. Oh I give them a light shot of cooking spray then rub it so the pan is coated (both sides) that way it washes up clean in 10 seconds with a little dawn and water.

I found that I was bumping the temp up to 240 after 4 hours as I like crunchy almonds too. Next batch I will try keeping it at 235 the whole way.

Your putting your baking sheets in the slots, the grates that come with the elite above the slots and then putting your pans on them is this right, I am guessing?

I have been trying to figure out how to get 4 pans in so I can smoke more at a time.

Just saw this at wall mart in W Sac today at lunch.

http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=4667

Hefty EZ Foil Grill Pan Size: 17" x 12-1/4" x 1-1/8"

This is a disposable foil pan (baking sheet size) with lots of holes in it 2 pack for $3.

It might just fit the slots without support too.
When I get home I will see.
Last edited by Former Member
Thanks for another idea of something to smoke. It is pretty cold up here in PA this time of year, so cold smoking is what I am playing with. So far I have nearly 2 dozen batches of cheese under my belt, and 2 pounds of salt. Next is going to be almonds.
I use the DIY soldering iron in a coffee can method. I cover the can with foil, and poke holes in it to keep the heat down. The bottom rack of the smoker box gets covered in foil also. Then a tray of ice on that.
quote:
http://mybrands.com/Product.aspx?pid=4667

Hefty EZ Foil Grill Pan Size: 17" x 12-1/4" x 1-1/8"

This is a disposable foil pan (baking sheet size) with lots of holes in it 2 pack for $3.

Well I tested these disposable pans and they wont fit the racks slots but sit nicely on the grates.

So I am putting the Kitchen essentials from Calphalon non stick bakeware 12 x 17 inch crisping pan in the slots and the racks on top of these with the disposable pans. I have 4 pans going at once now.

Pags is right you need to hot smoke almonds I am doing Pag's recipe at 235 deg for 5 hours for crunchy almonds
quote:
Originally posted by Doug552:
Just tried my first batch of smoked almonds. Found 3lb. bags at Costco. I could't tell if they were raw or not from the package. I followed Pags recipe, I just added 1 tsp. of Chipotle powder. They turned out great. Thanks guys. Doug

According to Costco, Kirkland almonds Item 284601 in 3# bags, Are raw.
Tom
Decided to dredge up this old thread and get some ideas for a new recipe. Ended up using TN Q's simple recipe as a base, and threw in a little from pags too:

1# raw almonds
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tbsp Cookshack Rib Rub (chick rub is gone)
1 Tbsp Worchestershire
1 Tsp. garlic powder
Sprinkled with Lowry's Seasoned Salt
3 oz. Jack Daniels (I can't let that part go;-)

Smoked two hours at 225 two hickory chunks, and did exactly as TN Q suggested for separating.

I think the result is better than my previous outputs,and they aren't sticky at all. I would add some onion powder next time, thats it.

Thanks to all for contributing to this project!

John

My first try at smoked almonds today using Pags' original recipe in my AQ. I had about 12 oz of raw almonds from BJ's and I cut down the ingredients to 1 Tbl worcestershire, 1 teas. garlic powder, and 1 teas. salt (I used iodized sea salt). Smoked at 225 for three hours with about 2 oz of hickory, with the nuts single layer on a frogmat to allow even smoke penetration. The result was pretty good, but I want to continue tweaking the recipe. A little bit too much smoke for me, and not quite enough salt. I also want to try a different wetting agent than worcestershire, maybe soy sauce. The almonds came out crunchy, quite smoky, and pretty tasty. A good experiment for a sunny spring Saturday.

Last edited by jay1924

Just did another batch of almonds. I got turned on to huli huli chicken and ribs in Hawaii last year, and I've made huli huli wings, but I wanted to see how almonds would turn out similarly treated. I used about 2 oz of hickory at 225 for 2.5 hours in my AQ.

Huli Huli Almonds

11.5 oz raw almonds (from BJ's)

1 T pineapple juice

1/2 t sriracha

1/2 t soy sauce

1/2 t garlic powder

1/2 t ginger powder

1 t sea salt

Mix the pineapple juice, sriracha and soy sauce together and pour over almonds. Stir to completely wet all the almonds. Sprinkle over the garlic, ginger and salt and stir to coat almonds evenly. Spread evenly in one layer to smoke (I used a frog mat).

Allow to cool and place in a zip bag for 1/2 hour to blend flavors.

These are REALLY tasty. They turned out dry and crunchy. The sweetness from the juice and the heat from the sriracha are just barely there, and all the flavors come together well. Try it!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.