Skip to main content

Although not as good as Chinook, it's readily available at Costco for a good price, and I think I finally nailed it, so here goes FWIW:

3 filets, total about 2.5 lbs.

Brine:

1/2 C. Salt
1 C. Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Liquid smoke
Juice from one lime
4 Tbsp Molasses
1 Qt Water

Brined overnight, about 7 hours.

Smoked for 5 hours on the CS @150 - 160 deg. Started with 3 small chunks of 2 year old Alder, added 2 more after 3 hours.

Let set in foil wrapped with a towel for slow cooling, refrigerated overnight. Not salty, nice subtle smoke, and slightly sweet. This formula is a keeper!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

That's okay, we just had a thread going in the Open Forum about SR.

It actually is in a LOT of recipes, but I try to find a way to add read smoke if I'm using the smoker.

One recipe I modified that a lot of people do is the normal Chex Mix Recipe. Calls for Liquid Smoke. Instead I leave it out and Smoke the Chex mix and let me tell you there IS a difference.

Hope you didn't mind my asking Wink
This is similar to my process.. although I've not tried salmon in my CS yet.. Did a lot of it in a home made smoker using a hotplate, frying pan, and a hubcap.. Smiler

I brined in heavy brine (enough to float an egg) for one day. The brine used brown sugar similar to your quantity.. that was it. Removed after 24 hrs and placed in the refrigerator on a rack to form a pellicle and smoked with alder for about 6 hours. I learned this from a commercial smoker at Bodega Bay when I lived there. There's was always great.. and I think mine was also.

quote:
Originally posted by LCNSac:
[qb] Although not as good as Chinook, it's readily available at Costco for a good price, and I think I finally nailed it, so here goes FWIW:

3 filets, total about 2.5 lbs.

Brine:

1/2 C. Salt
1 C. Brown Sugar
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Liquid smoke
Juice from one lime
4 Tbsp Molasses
1 Qt Water

Brined overnight, about 7 hours.

Smoked for 5 hours on the CS @150 - 160 deg. Started with 3 small chunks of 2 year old Alder, added 2 more after 3 hours.

Let set in foil wrapped with a towel for slow cooling, refrigerated overnight. Not salty, nice subtle smoke, and slightly sweet. This formula is a keeper! [/qb]
Thanks, always good to see more Salmon methods.

My experience with Atlantic (farm raised) is a little less favorable.

I've tried the Pickles (what i call a brine that floats an egg) and on the farm raised atlantic salmon I did NOT like the taste or the texture.

I'm a big fan of wild salmon but I almost never get it here in Oklahoma.

We use Cardog's Salmon (here in the forum) and it's always been a winner. Key for us was not brining the Atlantic salmon too long.
To clarify my post.. I have never smoked farmed salmon.. we live within 30 miles of a great salmon fishing port.. Bodega Bay..

For those old timers.. think of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". The place that had the gas pump fire is/was the original Tides complex. It has now been replaced by a much fancier (touristy)complex. I helped fight the fire that burned down the bar where Tippie Hendren (sp?) chatted with the townfolk. She still comes to B.Bay about once a year to visit.. but, she doesn't look as great as she did in the film.. funny what age does to some folks.. can't understand why it hasn't happened to me Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by twofer:
[qb] When, exactly, does one get wild salmon in Oklahoma City? I can only assume it would be during tornado season Smiler [/qb]
I did say I almost never get it. Sometimes the stores will fly it in on special. When they do, I buy a bunch.

Such is the life in a land locked state.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.