Skip to main content

The couple across the street is moving back to Delaware so another neighbor threw a going away party--pot luck. My wife volunteered me for the smoked
baked bean assignment--she brought wine. Confused She's always been the clever one.

So I made up a batch of Smokin's Smoked Baked BBQ Beans, Pags style. Wow. They were a sensation. The reactions surprised me. Truly amazing. Heard comments like, "I consider mysef a baked bean expert, and these are the best baked beans I've ever eaten." I didn't ask him what made him an expert. "These are incredible." Another lady just yelled out, "I love these beans!" Another "These are to die for!" I heard "Your beans are great. What's your secret ingredient?" several times. I figured it must be the smoke from the Cookshack, but the Jack Daniels and the pulled pork should get honorable mention. I was flattered but really surprised at the reactions.

So I thought I'd share the recipe. I've seen more complicated recipes, but the simplicity of this one produces a great return for your effort.

3 cans Van Camp's Baked Beans (53 oz size)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup pure maple syrup (as in real maple syrup)
1/3 cup chopped onion (I rehydrated dehydrated onions)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I used a Memphis style, not too sweet)
1/3 cup yellow mustard (maybe a tad more)
3 TBL preminced garlic (heaping tablespoons and a little bit of the juices too)
1/4 cup Jack Daniels (or 1/3 cup, or 1/2 cup. I used 1/2 cup)
Pulled Pork I don't know how much I threw in, but it was a lot. At least 4 cups.

I threw all the ingredients into 2 disposable aluminum pans, mixed thoroughly, and into a smoker set at 200* for 2 hrs, then 235* for 2 hrs. A chunk of cherry split into 3 pieces and a pouch of hickory pellets. Mix the beans every hour. That's it. Take them out and enjoy. The beans did look slightly dry so I added a little more maple syrup and Jack Daniels.

Threw one pan of the beans into a crock pot for the party (done 15 minutes before party time). Reserved the other for later.

Special thanks to Smokin. I would never have gotten to this if it weren't for his recipe.

Neat thing about these beans is they pick up more flavor and smoke after sitting in the fridge overnight. Having them with St. Louis ribs tomorrow night or possibly Weds.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

So are you calling it Smokin Okies BBQ Beans -- Pags Style... Wink

Nah, call it Pag's Beans or something catchy Big Grin

Hey the recipe is out there, basic, to get you start.

Like to see variation on it, there's always room for improvement. Good to see you get reviews, that says a lot.

4 cups is a LOT. That to me would make it the main course. Of course, I love them just like that.

The KEY is to smoke the beans. That makes all the difference in any Bean recipe.
They're better reheated (the smoke tends to strengthen).

Just make, cool and put into small batches. If you have a vacuum sealer it works great because you just put the bag into a pan of boiling water.

Otherwise, you can reheat larger batches in the oven or just in a pan on a stovetop. Don't cook them, just reheat them to 140+

FYI, I have a dutch oven that I use for just Beans, it works great, no washing and just reseasons it for the next use.
I love being able to say this now.

Well, in my restaurant Wink

I'm doing a slight variation of my recipe. Follow it and you'll get close to what I'll be selling. Over the years I've tried many other varations of adding different types of beans, but I'm a traditional guy. Navy beans.

Love the varations, that's what makes it great.

Staff loves the new beans.
quote:
Originally posted by Pags:
Those of us who can make the fall reunion may have to come in an additional day early just to try the Q and provide some feedback. Big Grin Cool

That would be FUN and SCARY. You'd be a tough crowd the please, but if I can't please you guys, then I'm not doing it right Wink

Probably the biggest challenge still to come are reviews and online feedback at social media sites. People can be brutally honest. I'm okay with it, it's just a new thing for me to learn/deal with.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.