Skip to main content

Before everyone starts gagging,let me tell you that this is one of the best and cheapist cuts of beef you can buy.All solid meat once you get it cooked.I will be the first to admit it is somewhat labor intensive,but well worth the work.Serve it cold ,sliced for sandwiches with some good homemade horse radish sauce or make a pate.Works great thin sliced on crackers as a snack.Can be served hot with root veggies.
Here it is:
One 2 to 3 lb beef tongue,trimmed and washed.Place in large stock pot and cover with 2inches water.Add 1/4 cup kosher salt and 3 or more tablespoons of pickling spices.Bring to a slow simmer,cover and simmer for 1hour.Remove and run cold water over tongue until it is cool enough to handle.Using a VERY sharp knife peel the skin ffrom the tongue.Once all the skin is removed smoke at 225 degrees for 1 hour using hickory or mesquite. Did 2 today and had a couple from Germany buy a whole one as soon as it came out of the smoker.Something new,give it a try.Warning you may not want to tell folks what it is until after they have tried it,and then maybe not even then.
Papa Shaka Big Grin Wink
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Did one of these today. Boiled in salt water for about 1.5 hours, skin came off easily. i then seasoned it with a store bought cajun seasoning and smoked for 1.75 hours. Took it out and sliced it while warm, well it didn't last long as the people here loved it. Next time will have to make more than one.

Thanks for the idea, I remember eating these when I was younger but haven't had any for a long time. Anything on the heart?

dave
quote:
Originally posted by shtrdave:
[qb]Did one of these today. Boiled in salt water for about 1.5 hours, skin came off easily. [/qb]

I think you mean the "tastebuds" came off easily!! I'm w/D9, tough one for me to comprehend in the good eats dept. I will stick to ribs, chicken, & butts.....
Tongue is a favorite in our household but it's got to have a mustard and raisin sauce to convince the squeamish as to just how good the meat is! It's really great with Smithfield or country ham, too.

Try this recipe:

Southern Raisin Sauce
� 1/2 cup brown sugar
� 2 tablespoons cornstarch
� 1 teaspoon dry hot mustard
� 1 tablespoon vinegar
� 1 cup raisins
� 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
� 2 tablespoons lemon juice
� 1 1/2 cups water

Raisin sauce directions

Combine brown sugar, cornstarch and dry mustard in a small saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add vinegar, raisins, lemon peel, lemon juice and water. Continue cooking raisin sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Serve raisin sauce with ham.
Makes about 2 1/2 cups of raisin sauce.
Beef tongue is one of my favorite pieces of beef and I was introduced to by my wife. I prefer it with horseradish sauce but it goes with a lot of sauces including djion mustard.

Her method of cooking tongue is to:

1) Place in stock pot and cover with water. She adds in some peppercorns and bay leaves but is going to try adding some salt the next time as mentioned here.

2) Bring to a boil and then turn down to simmer for 3 to 4 hours. (no internal temp mentioned but I will get a reading next time)

3) Remove from pot and immediately (using gloves) make a slit down the tongue and separate skin from meat. (she says the colder the meat gets, the harder it will be to separate.

We usually eat a meal of it as sliced and then it makes excellent sandwiches the next day.

If you've never tried it, you WILL like it!
Every time this thread comes up, it makes me smile. Not because of the subject, but because of the guy who started the thread.

Papa passed away a few years ago and for those of us who met/knew him, he was a helluvaguy. Even if he did like Beef Tongue.

I'll drink a beer to you tonight Papa.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.