Skip to main content

Again I have searched high and low for a recipe for a smoked burger,nothing posted I can find so here is mine.With the upcoming holiday and adults as well as kids this works well for both.

1/3 lb frozen burger patty from Sams or wherever layed out on your CS rack and sprinkle with whatever kind of season salt you like.Use hickory or misquite ,smoke for 1:15 min at 225 degree. Remove the min.your timer goes off and serve.

Option: lay out patty,season,cover top with green chilies,whole or chopped,or onions sliced or chopped.Great burger with Great smoked flavor and the chilies and onion great smoke flavor. ENJOY

Remember , Where there's smoke,there's great food.

Papa Shaka
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Let me make sure I have this correct. We are seasoning the actual "frozen burger pattie?" Season it while frozen and smoke it for 1 hr. 15 minutes? How thick is this burger? (I grind my own beef for our patties) Does this result in a juicy burger? Medium rare or well done burger?

TIA for resopnses!

PS Ever thought of smoking a bun to go along with the burger? May be interesting. Dumb question?
papa shaka is right on the mark. I use the same method except I give the frozen burgers a shot of worcestireshire then sprinkle with a little garlic salt and Tones or McCormicks steak seasoning. Also I use Costco's 1/3lb sirloin burgers instead of the regular hamburger. They come out tender & juicy with great flavor but the downside is they don't look like grilled burgers but you could "mark" them on a hot grill if you want. By the time you put on all the condiments you can't see the patty anyway so I don't bother.
CB
I made some burgers tonight on the Smokette. I used Sam's pre-formed burgers (thawed). I was late getting them on and cooked them at 250� with 1.5 oz. of hickory to begin. I chickened out since I had a guest over and cut the wood chunk in half after it had smoked a bit. I pulled the burgers at 165� internal after 1 hour and 20 minutes. They were cooked through, but I had to convince the wife since the meat still looked a bit red.

The flavor was great, but a lot of people would probably consider the smoke flavor as light. The meat was tough. I will make burgers again, but I will make the patties.
I have maked smoked burgers in my Weber kettle before I got my Smokette. My kids love them, and prefer them to any other kind. I use foil packets of soaked hickory chips (poke holes in the packet) on top of the coals. About 30 minutes on each side seems to work. I also sautee sliced sweet onions in a mix of olive oil and bar-b-que sauce for on top of the burger. It really makes a nice burger.

I tried it in my Smokette, but it didn't seem quite right. After reading the previous posts, I think I used too much wood. I'm ready to try again in the Smokette ASAP.

Thanks for the tip.

If I can offer a tip, it would be to not handle the ground beef too much. I use fresh ground beef, and if I handle the ground beef too much when making the patties, the burgers are tough. Easy does it.
"1/3 lb frozen burger patty from Sams or wherever layed out on your CS rack and sprinkle with whatever kind of season salt you like.Use hickory or misquite ,smoke for 1:15 min at 225 degree. Remove the min.your timer goes off and serve."

Am I missing something here? A frozen patty @ 225 for 1:15 min. Though I can't dispute the method since I've never tried it, it doesn't even seem like it would be thawed - much less cooked.
ok, i gotta add my nickel. i serve alot of burgers at 'the q'. and, of course i eat alot of them too. usually cook them on a flat top for customers, but if i got the smoker blasting, i like mine smoked. cant figure out the lengthy times i see posted here. i put mine on thawed, throw a little worst, garlic, and black pepper on top, and let her rip. but she is done in ten minutes. half pound angus beef. the best money can buy is cattlemans, sold by u.s. food. naturally, sometimes, i add a little 'rocket fuel'

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.